• Show
Clear All
  • bruce hylton
    Established Member
    • Dec 2008
    • winlock, wa
    • Dewalt today

A new rant

is all this can be. When I am done I will be in more hot water. I am 60 years old and have never known the side of life that lets a person pick the subjects that interest them without the benefit of others in a like social situation.
    To watch baseball by myself, drink beer alone, or play solitare for more than 10 minutes is not my bag. I can watch young animals or children make lifes small discovery's with joy, I can find something good about most situations and people, but I am starting to wonder about our society.
    I do not watch a lot of news programs or read every page of the newspaper. I do try to get facts from any source I can that deals with any portion of my life and do shoot off my mouth about what I believe in.
    I currently own a restaurant/bar with a family type atmosphere in a small town. I know over 50% of the customers that come thru the door well enough to say hi and ask how they are doing no matter where I see them.
    I have a construction, logging, sawmill, scrap recycler background. I have been doing a little of all these things since before I turned ten years old. Needless to say I have very seldom ever been unemployed. I try to keep up with the laws and regulations that affect me and the things I am interested in.
    Today I was told that I am thought to be an instigator and a trouble maker.
    I make a lot of jokes that are off color with little or no regard to anything except that I try to be in adult company. I say what comes to mind at the time and if you can show me facts that come from more than one source, and that I can't dispute with other facts, I am always willing to change my position on any given subject.
    I talk loud, and to anyone that will listen. Or sometimes not. I don't always hear what is being said to me, especially if I can't see your lips. I am opinionated to say the least. I have very definite views on religon, politics and sex. All of which tend to get me in trouble if I voice my thoughts anywhere around people.
    This doesn't mean that I hold back, just that I am constantly in trouble for voicing my thoughts. My biggest detractor is my wife. She doesn't want me to tell a story, swear, talk politics or religion in the bar, or make any kind of decision when I have had a beer before hand. Especially without getting her opinion first. She is scared to death that someone is going to file a sexual harrassment suit against me for telling a joke in my own place. She doesn't want to hear any political discussions because someone might get loud. And the worst thing of all is her constant fear that some gorgeous young girl is going to ride up and kidnap me for their own use.
    No matter how much I try, I am unable to convince here that it will take more than a pretty face and a new table saw to snag me away from her.
    Thanks for letting me get these disturbing thoughts off my mind.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Bruce, it sounds like you wasted all those years as a "construction, logging, sawmill, scrap recycler". You were made to be a bartender! Although listening, as opposed to talking, is thought to be a benefit in that occupation.

JR
    JR

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You don't sound any different than the rest of us.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

>Today I was told that I am thought to be an instigator and a trouble maker.

Me thinks you need to let the wife run the bar and you need to become a talking head on TV! Guess it won't be on FOX though :rolleyes.

Bill, also an instigator and a trouble maker.

We usually stop at RT12, the place that has the big Bakery sign, to eat when traveling up to Tacoma. A trip I make once or twice a year. I'll have to stop in Winlock next time and try your food. Got Pie?
        Last edited by Mr__Bill; 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

In any conflict, you must estimate what is to be won versus what is to be lost. This is what you use to determine the need to be part of it. This sounds like a case where you might win the battle, but lose the war. Try to get a thick skin, and don't let 'em see you sweat. You'll be happier (with yourself, in particular) as you emerge from the other side of it.

Comment

• bruce hylton
            Established Member
            • Dec 2008
            • winlock, wa
            • Dewalt today

If that is rt12 east, I live less than 5 miles south as the crow flies. The Firehouse Restaurant is west from exit 63 about 3 miles, go west from exit 63 to flashing light and turn right for 2 blocks on right. My wife usually runs the bar, I just try to make the final decisions and drink a few beers while searching for ways to bring in more customers. Right now we are starting on the hunt for the prime rib business that used to be in the area on
            Friday and Saturday. Choice grade angus is my choice of meat and it is not cheap, but oh so good.
            Have you ever seen a fat man that didn't sweat? Well it sure isn't me. I have deciced that if you don't have it on tape and I can't remember it, then it didn't happen. I hope I can find this thread next week so I read what I was thinking about this week next week.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Having visited Winlock, I doubt it would take a lot to be considered an "instigator and a trouble maker" in such a quiet town. Keep it up, the little old ladies need something to gossip about.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• tseavoy
                Established Member
                • May 2009
                • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

Winlock -- Isn't that the town soooo small that all the whores are virgins?

Seriously, voicing strong opinions can either help or hurt, especially in politics and religion.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• bruce hylton
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • winlock, wa
                  • Dewalt today

Good morning. I am about to see if I can talk the mayor into adding a new slogan to the welcome sign coming into town. Actually, I have been trying for some time, currently says WELCOME TO WINLOCK. I would like to add, WHERE YOU DON'T LOSE YOUR GIRL, JUST YOUR TURN. You can't beleive how close this is sometimes.

Comment

Working...