• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I have no great love for politicians. The less thoughtful ones aren't fit to be dog catchers but even some of the more thoughtful ones do foolish things (besides adultery). Our local state senator is a wonkish fellow who seems to be pretty bright, but he's also sponsors an annual contest called "There Ought To Be a Law". All that does is give legislators an excuse to say they did something, whether the law that ought to be makes sense or not.

I spend too much of my time these days trying to figure out how to navigate around contradictory government policies that were dreamed up by twentysomethings who have loads of idealism but little or no real world experience.

YMMV but I happen to live in California, where there's lots of this nonsense.

At the end of the day, though, it's like Pogo said. "We have met the enemy and he is us." After all, we are the ones who put these folks in office.

Comment

• rcp612
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
      • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by Hoover
      This happens in schools, all too often. No money for textbooks or school supplies, but the athletic department has first dibs on funding. Lets then spend money for all children for physical education, and programs that will help ALL children benefit.

OK rant off.
      You are right!! I remember waaaaay back when I was in High School and playing football, the various teams and the athletic department had to raise the money needed for everything except the actual playing field. And our books and learning supplies were supplied by the school.
      Now my grand kids can't buy a pencil for their own use, they have to buy a pack of pencils and turn them over to their teacher to dole them out to whomever needs one.
      As a personal rant, our local school district managed to get a levy passed 2 years ago to build a new school since the HVAC system in the old one needed replaced. Lo and behold, now its built and we don't have enough money to cover the operating expenses. Now why didn't that idea come up before?
      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• pierhogunn
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Politicians of all streaks no longer want to be measured on their output, but their intentions.

And with intentions as the metric of choice... well lets say that that road is well paved, and well traveled by those who will try to give us ( generic us as in the general public) everything we think we want, even at the expenses of our legitimate needs
        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
          I am shocked. The figures Cabinetman has provided are far worse than anything I ever imagined. Living in the real world I've always allowed for less than complete disclosure from powers that be, but this sort of blatant, in-your-face abuse of power and money makes me wild. Just the $500 million would be manna for the education industry of the region; the total of almost $2 billion is inexcusable !!

I think it's time we got more involved in the decision making process. A couple of class action lawsuits might start it off nicely.

It's absolute insanity to spend that kind of money during these kind of times and conditions on a BASEBALL STADIUM. How clear does it have to be written out!!!

Comment

Working...