Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Google after more Microsoft market

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31791017...h_and_gadgets/

This could be interesting. I love the Chrome browser.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I started using Chrome beta but then quit when I found out it was based on some code libraries that had several known exploits. Apple had just releaesed an update to Safari that uses the same base code and the Apple update was to get rid of those exploits. Is Chrome out of the beta stage yet?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I like the sounds of it. MS needs some competition. They're just too cocky.

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Chrome is still beta, but there have been several updates that I'm aware of since it's release.

Gmail just dropped the beta tag on the 4th and how many people have gmail accounts now????
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

Comment

• MilDoc

Ant OS based on Chrome is going to have to be used by thousands of others before I try it. Chrome is almost as bad as IE at vulnerability.

My philosophy: I am rarely the first to adopt ANY new computer internet technology. Everyone else can test it for me.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by MilDoc
            My philosophy: I am rarely the first to adopt ANY new computer internet technology. Everyone else can test it for me.
            Good strategy.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Competition is great but I'm doubtful google will be too successful with this project. MS is too entrenched in the market system and most people are reluctant to try anything new once they've become comfortable with a certain product. It's the same reason apple owns the lion share in portable music devices and google in search engines. But hey if there is a company that's capable of breaking the trend it's google, especially at that price point.

At the very least I hope it makes MS drop the prices on Windows.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• gordons
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

It's true that Gmail only recently dropped the Beta tag.

It's also a wise person who is not an early adopter of anything new in the computer industry. Let those who can't wait to part with their money do all the debugging for you. An operating system is seldom any good until at least SP1 or 2 and sometimes even that is not good enough (Millenium and Vista - the Microsoft Edsels).

Having said all that, here is an interesting article from the BBC about which hardware manufacturers have agreed to be early adopters: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8141964.stm

Firefox 3.X rules
                Gordon
                I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MilDoc

Add to that let them pay the extra $$ for a newly released product.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Valrico, Florida.

While the Chrome browser is decent, and the OS might be good, this OS isn't going to replace Windows anytime soon. It's oriented around launching the Chrome browser and linking to browser based tools.

And the current netbook OS that tries to do the same thing (the various customized Linux flavors) all have a 4x higher return rate than the Windows netbooks.

Microsoft is fun to bash, but hard to compete against. And Windows 7 is **** good.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by Bob Crosley
                      And Windows 7 is **** good.
                      but how long will it be before they stop selling/maintaining it and you have to buy "Windows 8". With Google going the open source/free route, the OS will likely remain in place longer and actually get all the bugs worked out.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

Comment

• germdoc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Omaha, NE
                        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Check out this interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/op...ml?ref=opinion

Guy seems to know what he's talking about. We on the outside never think about the possibility that a new product is not actually designed to success or kill the competitor.
                        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...