• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Hoists (Again)

The new house is almost finished (pics soon). I have moved some partially finished cabinets and dust collector parts into the shop (with the builder's permission) and I will be using it for a finish room (brush or wipe, no spraying) today.

In the process of moving some relatively light items down the side slope and across the gravel in the back (required for drainage), I confirmed that moving my heavy tools along the same path will be very difficult and dangerous, which is why we added rear double doors to the shop and the garage in the first place.

I've looked at electric hoists and this site has what appear to be typical models from several manufacturers that would be suitable.

I need an outdoor-type hoist that will stand up to 6 months of snow and repeated freeze-thaw cycles per year, plus direct, severe UV exposure all year round (6400' elevation). I do not want to have to get on a 30' ladder to put it the hoist up and take it down - no sense risking damage to the house when I fall off the ladder with the hoist in my hand.

The biggest load I would put on this thing is my table saw, which had a shipping weight of 440 pounds including packaging and a router lift. The jointer and bandsaw weigh less, though I suppose I could be in the market for bigger tools some day. I don't know whether the advertised loads are safe working loads or whether safe working loads are a fraction of the advertised load but I'm thinking a 1000 pound load and 20 feet of lift (distance from ground to top floor landing) will suffice. However, the ridge beam is about 32 feet above ground level. That might require a longer lift.

At this stage, I'm trying to figure out what questions to ask the suppliers. With moving day approaching fast, I might also just tell the movers what conditions they can expect if they attempt to move tools around the outside of the house (they absolutely cannot bring them through the house!) and suggest they might want to rent a suitable portable hoist system that can lower tools from the back door of the garage.

I still want the hoist for firewood and sheet goods, but neither is critical at this point.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I know it's been discussed before, but is there no way to mount the hoist on an I-beam, enabling it to be drawn inside? This would solve the weather problem and also make it a lot easier to deal with a >400lb. tool.

JR
    JR

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

is there no way to mount the hoist on an I-beam, enabling it to be drawn inside?
      In this case, no. The top floor contains a large room that's for my wife's toys. The middle floor contains the garage. Shop is on the bottom. There's no attic. The hoist mount will be positioned on the ridge beam so that it is directly above the middle of the hoist platform - probably 2 feet from the side of the house.

Comment

• bruce hylton
        Established Member
        • Dec 2008
        • winlock, wa
        • Dewalt today

Bury an axle housing in concrete in front, stand a long schedule 80 steel tube with an 'L' arm at the top made from 4" "H" beam six to eight feet long as needed. Add an electric hoist from HF that will roll length of "H" beam. Use plastic cover when not in use. Axle will give you swing action and mutiply use a 100 time over.

Comment

• sscherin
          • Dec 2003
          • Kennewick, WA, USA.

My thought was a ground level mounted cable hoist and a pulley at the ridge beam.
          Then you could build a weatherproof enclosure for the hoist.

Hanging a pulley block will be much safer than hanging a big heavy hoist too
          William's Law--
          There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
          cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

That was my thought too - pully up top and hoist on the ground. Much safer and much easier to service if needed.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Sounds like a pulley system might be the perfect solution if I can find a way to keep the wire rope away from a third floor window when the hoist system isn't in use. I'll have to take a look here shortly and also take a photo or two.

So much for my expensive college education

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

How about a pulley on top, like others suggest, then a pulley anchored at the bottom also, where the cable makes a 90 degree turn into the shop (through a small hole) where the hoist is out of the weather?

Just trying to think outside the bun.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Just remember with a pulley at the top you put twice the weight on the ridge beam. Your 400 lb table saw will put 800+ lb of weight on the beam.

I like the pulley idea you could put the pulley at the top and a shiv at the garage level and attach the end of the cable to the trailer hitch on the truck..... you would find out just how much your wife loves you and the shop

The other way is with an ATV with a trailer.

Bill

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                    Just remember with a pulley at the top you put twice the weight on the ridge beam. Your 400 lb table saw will put 800+ lb of weight on the beam.

Bill
                    How? If I wrap a cable around the saw, pick it up and suspend it from a hook on that beam, then there is 400lbs hanging from the beam. If I pick up the saw again and have you run the cable through a pulley instead of the hook there is still 400lbs hanging from the beam.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cwithboat
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                      • Craftsman Pro 21829

I guess I came in late. How do you get 6400 ft of elevation in Los Altos?
                      regards,
                      Charlie
                      A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                      Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Actually thinking about it I think I might have it... if the cable runs through the pulley and I am holding the end of it, then the weight is pulling down with 400lbs of force and I also have to pull down with 400lbs of force to keep it from falling. Therefore, there is an apparent 800lbs total load on the beam.
                        David

Comment

• jackellis
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I guess I came in late. How do you get 6400 ft of elevation in Los Altos?
                          In a month I'll be changing that address to Tahoe City, California. Our home plus the new shop will be about 200 feet above lake level.

Tomorrow I'll post a photo or two of the rear of the house.

Comment

• just started
                            • Mar 2008
                            • suburban Philly

You could use one of the new radio controlled winches made for bumper mounting. That will take care of the control cable problem AND the outdoor mounting, they are made to stand up to living on the front bumper of a vehicle.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Ohio
                              • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by just started
                              You could use one of the new radio controlled winches made for bumper mounting. That will take care of the control cable problem AND the outdoor mounting, they are made to stand up to living on the front bumper of a vehicle.
                              But they are also deigned for lateral pulling, not vertical pulling.

Originally posted by crokett
                              Actually thinking about it I think I might have it... if the cable runs through the pulley and I am holding the end of it, then the weight is pulling down with 400lbs of force and I also have to pull down with 400lbs of force to keep it from falling. Therefore, there is an apparent 800lbs total load on the beam.
                              Correct. But if he is mainly using it for sheet goods and firewood, then how much weight is it really gonna have to support? As long as it can handle the 800 lbs for the table saw (which will be less than 800 lbs when you are lowering it) I think it will be more than enough for what else he plans to do with it. And if he needs to he can put it closer to the house to lower the saw and have someone hold the saw away form the house as it is being lowered.
                              Last edited by Wood_workur; 07-07-2009, 01:53 PM.
                              Alex

Comment

Working...