• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Disney is pretty darn cool

We just got back from our Disney World trip, and I have to say it was an absolutely fantastic vacation. It's the first time I went as a family with kids. We stayed on the property at Shades of Green, which is an AFRC. (They have some great deals if you qualify.) It really is a magical experience for the kids, and the detail they provide in that experience is remarkable.

When I think about what it takes to run that place -- the roads, grounds, resorts, rides, security, power, and everything in between, it's really amazing to me that it all runs so smoothly.

I had gone several times before -- as part of conventions, and as a bachelor in party mode, but the experience was totally different then. A lot of what I thought was just plain old silly back then I could really appreciate now -- like the "carved" tree of life, which really is a work of art.

The only downside was the heat and humidity of central Florida, and maybe some of the prices. We didn't get any rain -- not even the typical afternoon thunderstorms.

The staff were great -- in cases where they seemed to get frustrated with guests, they recovered very well. Even the professional photographers there were perfectly willing to snap some family shots with our camera. I don't know how the dancers and characters can handle the heat, but they seemed very happy and energetic the whole time.

Anyway, I highly recommend it.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

My brother worked at Disney World back in the 1970s. I was there on opening day, playing in a marching band made up of select high school students.

Pretty complicated and a lot of effort to make sure the experience is exceptional. However, it's pretty regimented and for younger workers, it can be pretty tough. Keith used to refer to it as "the Tragic Kingdom".

Comment

• pierhogunn
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Several of my friends have played Characters, and they are for the most part in great shape, and they are very well taken care of, only spending 15 to 20 minutes in the sun IIRC
      It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

afrc?? QUE?
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
          afrc?? QUE?
          Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) - full-service resort hotels are Joint Service Facilities that provide quality, wholesome, affordable, family-oriented vacation recreation opportunities to service members, their families, and other authorized patrons (including official travelers) of the Total Defense Force." On property at Disney World: Shades of Green
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

We are going next April. We will be staying at a resort off-site. It will be my first trip having kids and second trip overall. The last one was 20 years ago.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

One of the real interesting tours/classes run by Disney university is a behind the scenes tour. The tour would be for adults and older kids.

http://www.disneyinstitute.com/backstage.cfm
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Thalermade
                • Dec 2002
                • Ohio
                • BT 3000

Glad you had a great time.
                Wish you would have taken the heat with you.
                Today is the 7th straight day of above average heat here in Orlando

Guess I should be happy that I have been in class 8 hours a day the past 3 days?
                I will avoid the heat the rest of the week by wandering the tradeshow floor and attending a few seminars here at InfoCOMM.

Good thing the beer is cold...

Russ

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                  When I think about what it takes to run that place -- the roads, grounds, resorts, rides, security, power, and everything in between, it's really amazing to me that it all runs so smoothly.
                  If you only knew...

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

There is a modern marvels on disney, its certainly worth watching. They explain the construction of the tree of life in detail. neat stuff.

I've only been to Disney Land which Walt considered a mistake because it wasn't planned properly. Disney World on the other hand was the success of his prior failure experience.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

Did you guys ride/play Toy Story Midway Mania? Totally self indulgent question, but did ya?
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I've been to DW several times and I'm always taken back with the detail of the work in the structures and facades. And, for a place so large with so much going on, both the landscaping and general cleanliness of the area is top notch.

Comment

• pierhogunn
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                          I've been to DW several times and I'm always taken back with the detail of the work in the structures and facades. And, for a place so large with so much going on, both the landscaping and general cleanliness of the area is top notch.

I believe that is why Disney is truly worth the price of admission
                          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            And, for a place so large with so much going on, both the landscaping and general cleanliness of the area is top notch.
                            But it used to be sooo much better... Their standards have been slipping for years, now.

Comment

• docrowan
                              • Mar 2007
                              • New Albany, MS
                              • BT3100

We go every year. My daughter is six years old and has been six times. Disney absolutely gets it right. My mom and dad live about an hour and 15 minutes away, but my wife convinced me last year to stay at an on-site resort. I was pretty resistant, but how can I resist her beautiful smile? As usual, she was right, it was a wonderful experience.

We are looking to stay at Shades of Green in December. It is supposed to be one of the best resorts on campus.
                              - Chris.

Comment

Working...