• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Funny Money???

I ran across my not so valuable collection of currency and coins. I still have a "Silver Certificate" dollar bill, and $2.00 bills (I have 7). Don't know how valuable each are or even if they are collectible. The back of the $2.00 has an interesting image.

• sscherin
    • Dec 2003
    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

It's still worth $2 if you can convince the teen behind the McDonalds register and his manager that it's not a bad counterfeit bill.

I have a few of those myself plus some silver 50cent pieces quarters and dimes. I don't have a clue what they are worth.

You want a fun time try helping the kids run $110 in pennies through one those coin star machines at the grocery store. You get funny looks when you come through the door with a full 5 gallon bucket of pennies in a shopping cart.

I did find this interesting little fact though.

A star note is a United States bank note that has an asterisk (*), or star, before or after the serial number. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing inspects currency for printing errors prior to releasing notes into general circulation. When notes are discovered that have been printed incorrectly (such as having the serial numbers upside down, etc.) these misprinted notes (error notes) are replaced with star notes because no two bills can be produced with the same serial number. They are used to maintain a correct count of notes in a serial number run. By their nature, star notes are more scarce than notes with standard serial numbers and as such are widely collected by hobbyists. Some of the highest prices paid for modern (post-1928) U.S. banknotes have been for star notes.
    Last edited by sscherin; 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM. Reason: more info
    William's Law--
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I think the $2 bill is a 1976 issue and the back commemorates the bicentennial of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Did you scan those in? Just curious- most scanning programs have software that identifies and reports computer users who scan money.... So you may have just landed yourself on a watch list. (won't they be bored for a while now )

But yeah, I've seen both of those items. I'm sure you can find something online.

A while ago I found a confedarate note- I thought it was fake, but found out it's real.

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by BigguyZ
          Did you scan those in? Just curious- most scanning programs have software that identifies and reports computer users who scan money.... So you may have just landed yourself on a watch list. (won't they be bored for a while now )

But yeah, I've seen both of those items. I'm sure you can find something online.

A while ago I found a confedarate note- I thought it was fake, but found out it's real.
          If that's true (probably is) I am gonna log off and start scanning my bills right now. At least some of my tax dollars will be spent on me for a change. Homeland Security has already placed me in two categories of "extremist" anyway so no problem being on a watch list. Could be good for a laugh or two.
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

When my son was in elementary school I would send him in with $2 bills and Susan B. Anthony $1 coins for lunch money. They told him he could not use them any more.... no place in the cash drawer! I sent in a letter explaining about money.... and was branded a trouble maker. Oh Well...

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

Lunch Money

We had a teacher complain loudly about taking pennies for lunch money. We fixed him the next day. Everyone brought pennies. They never found who stirred that up. I got lucky on that one.

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• shoottx
                Veteran Member
                • May 2008
                • Plano, Texas
                • BT3000

A long time ago I worked with a guy that was a practical joker. He would get his expense money in $2 bills. He would then "Pad" the $2 bills. He set up an operation to stack the $2 bills and swipe the ends with the rubbery and gooey glue used to make note pads. He would carry his note pad of $2 bills in his coat pocket. At lunch he would pull out the pad and peel off $2 bills to pay for his lunch. It was always fun to watch the clerks reaction. The reactions ranged from cute to calling the sheriff.

I always wanted to do it but was chicken!
                Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                  When my son was in elementary school I would send him in with $2 bills and Susan B. Anthony $1 coins for lunch money. They told him he could not use them any more.... no place in the cash drawer! I sent in a letter explaining about money.... and was branded a trouble maker. Oh Well...
                  Guess you'll have to change your moniker to "Mr. $2 Bill"...

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by shoottx
                    A long time ago I worked with a guy that was a practical joker. He would get his expense money in $2 bills. He would then "Pad" the $2 bills. He set up an operation to stack the $2 bills and swipe the ends with the rubbery and gooey glue used to make note pads. He would carry his note pad of $2 bills in his coat pocket. At lunch he would pull out the pad and peel off $2 bills to pay for his lunch. It was always fun to watch the clerks reaction. The reactions ranged from cute to calling the sheriff.

I always wanted to do it but was chicken!
                    Had a friend who used to go to the bank and get $50 wrappers of consecutively numbered $1 bills and pad them to make a stack like a pad of blank checks. He slid them into a checkbook cover and use them all over town.

As he was peeling bills off the pad, the clerks would ask him where he got them. He responded with some long, convoluted story about a Federal Reserve test and only one teller at a particular bank had them, and because it was a limited test, the teller would pretend not to know anything about it.

Did the same thing with $100 bills when he was going to buy some stereo equipment one time.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Whaler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Sequim, WA, USA.
                      • DW746

If you ride the ferry system here in Washington you will still get $2.00 bills in change. We made a trip into Seattle in April and ended up with 4 of them.
                      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...