• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

And The Hard Drive Saga Continues...

I got home last night and checked the deesktop downstairs. Ghost hadn't created any new scheduled images while we were gone last week. I tried creating a new one but Ghost reported some needed files were missing. I reinstalled it, tried again and it starts but then fails partway through with a CRC error. Did this 3 times. I will get the Western Digital diagnostics and run them tonight, but I might be returning the d@mn thing this week.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

CRC errors can be fixed with HDAT. It will read every sector of the drive, looking for CRC errors. When it finds one, it will read that sector "long" (bypassing the drive's built-in error checking) and then rewrite the sector (allowing the drive to recompute the CRC).

If performing this process increases the reallocated sector count (read the drive's SMART atts to determine this), then you know your drive probably has bad media or another underlying problem. If not, then the drive is good, and the CRC error is more likely the result of an interrupted write (power got switched off, or a bus reset occurred).

If there are lots of CRC errors (more than one or two), then I'd be concerned about underlying problems and swap the drive.

You can get HDAT on the Ultimate Boot CD.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the tip. right now, not sure I want to go through the trouble, may just wipe it and exchange it for another. All the data is already backed up.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

Starting to sound like a controller issue.
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Sam I sure hope not. I have the same model controller running in my Linux server. It has been for several months with no issues. I got the drive diagnostics and will try those, but I am not hopeful. I've never ever seen diagnostics fail anything, even on known bad hardware.
          David

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

The drive is going back. It failed the manufacturer diagnostics twice and failed the util cgallery suggested when I attached it to the controller in the Linux machine.
            David

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Yep, just because it is new doesn't mean it was good. It is better to find out now than 6 months and many more gig down the line.
              Erik

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

The new drive is in and seems to be ok. So far it is doing what the old one wouldn't. Still, the fallout continues.... my Quicken data is corrupt back to April. A directory of useful software that I've been collecting for years likewise is toast. All that data is on the server but is corrupt. On the bright side, most of our pictures are ok. It remains to be seen whether the movie footage I have survived. Like the quicken data, it was being backed up but garbage in=garbage out.
                David

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Google did a study about hard drives. They found that most of the drives that failed, did so at the start of their lives or would give you a few years of service. So if you have drive that doesn't die right away it should be good for a few years.
                  Last edited by jussi; 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

I've got a large USB drive that ghost images get written to, and overwritten. I still like to do an occaisional backup to another media type every once in a while, usually tape or DVD. It takes a while, but I do it exactly for the reasons above.
                    Erik

Comment

Working...