• Show
Clear All
  • catta12
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Reno, NV
    • BTS20R

Cable Company Rant

We are moving. I am looking into internet/TV service for our new address. I went to the Comcast website and they told me that they don't cover the area but their partner in the area, Charter Communications does. The internet/TV package lists as $69.98 for the first 6 mos. About this time a customer service chat box popped up asking if I had questions. I simply asked how much the package cost AFTER the first 6 mos. The rep told me that she would be glad to give me that answer, it would just be one moment. She then directed me to the page I was already looking at for the quoted price (for the 1st 6mos yes, after that, no). She then told me that she could not give me the price over chat, but the service was great and I could ask for the rate when the service was installed. And not to forget the promotions on..........

She told me I should try the service and that I could cancel if I was unhappy, how does that sound?

How about you tell me how much the service will cost before I sign up and I will consider it?

But the promotions blah blah blah.....................

I told her that her promotions were bait and switch if they would not tell me the longer term price and that they would not be getting my business because of it.

This really is not a huge deal, but it makes me mad when a company tries to conceal the actual cost of what they offer. Maybe they just transferred from selling adjustable rate mortgages to cable TV.
    If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

We have internet and TV with Charter for the last 5 years and we have been rather happy with the quality of service. Price and programing is another matter, although it's still less expensive than satellite for the channels we watch.

We have had a Charter service man stop several times looking for a system detected problem in the area. One even told me how to increase my bandwidth with no charge, and legal.

You should know that Charter filed for bankruptcy and the Chat Girl really may not know what the cost will be in 6 months, may not know just who will own them then or if she will have a job, unless of course you were chatting with a computer, sometimes it's hard to tell, but even then pricing may not be known.

Your comment about Comcast and Charter being their partner in the area worries me, I would hate to have Charter gobbled up by Comcast. I have had bad experiences with Comcast service in the past and would not like having to deal with it again.

As for TV over the internet, ya just know once the cable co finds out you are using the internet instead of buying it from them they will find a way to block it or charge for it.

Perhaps if you call and talk to a real person you can get the intro price locked in for a year.

Bill, who loves the Hulu advertisements but thinks the produce is rather like Pong.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Originally posted by catta12
      She then told me that she could not give me the price over chat, but the service was great and I could ask for the rate when the service was installed.
      That would be the quickest way for them to lose any business I might have with them.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

What a coincidence! I am going over to argue with Comcast in a few minutes over their bait-and-switch / flat-out misinformation.

I've had Comcast for 3 years, the first year was a promotional rate, so I expected a healthy increase for year 2. The nicest way to put it is that they have exceeded my expectations each year. HUGE increases every year! Each year, I adjust my plan to the most bang for the buck for my needs to try to counteract the impact of their ~ 30% annual increase - so I'm starting year 4 paying about 75% more than I paid in year 1, but with way fewer channels.

Unfortunately, they are the only option for high-speed internet where I live - and I need HS internet. The service has been good, but the gouging has gotten old.

If I had another decent option, I'd leave Comcast in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
        Bill

Comment

• catta12
          Established Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Reno, NV
          • BTS20R

Originally posted by os1kne

If I had another decent option, I'd leave Comcast in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
          Is satellite internet an option? I know a few people with similar situations that eventually found that route more favorable.

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
          We have internet and TV with Charter for the last 5 years and we have been rather happy with the quality of service. Price and programing is another matter, although it's still less expensive than satellite for the channels we watch.

Your comment about Comcast and Charter being their partner in the area worries me, I would hate to have Charter gobbled up by Comcast. I have had bad experiences with Comcast service in the past and would not like having to deal with it again.

My inlaws also have Charter and the service is OK for them. I would just rather pick a company and not go through this song and dance again in 6 months. I looked around and it does look like Comcast is taking over Charter, at least in some areas. I have fought Comcast in the past, but thought I would see what they have to offer. I am now leaning toward DirecTv for TV and At&t for internet. Both have upfront pricing without contracts.

Alan

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Direct TV is offering a special promotion here, $34.99 for the first twelve months but you have to sign a contract for twenty-four months. Seems they can't tell you what the second twelve months' charge will be. Isn't that like buying a car on a twenty four month plan and they tell you the first twelve months your bill will be $300/ month but the dealer will set whatever rate he sees fit for the last twelve months. No, thanks.

Comcast, here in Chattanooga is hated by everyone who doesn't work for them. And for good reason.

As much as I hate regulation, it seems this is another industry just screaming for government regulation. (Re-regulation actually.)

Richard
            Richard

Comment

• catta12
              Established Member
              • Jan 2008
              • Reno, NV
              • BTS20R

The internet/TV package lists as $69.98 for the first 6 mos.
              I finally found the rate after the promotion ends. The rate jumps to ~$120/mo!!!

That is assuming of course that Charter still exists (not seeming likely) in 6 mos. A rate jump like that is just plain evil.

Alan

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I finally found the rate after the promotion ends. The rate jumps to ~$120/mo!!!

That is assuming of course that Charter still exists (not seeming likely) in 6 mos. A rate jump like that is just plain evil.
                Charter has already filed for bankrupture. Guess its future depends on the BR judge.
                Richard
                Richard

Comment

• pacwind3
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Vancouver, WA
                  • Bosch 4100

I'm not trying to put anyone down here, but guys: really??? Service through Comcast and companys like them are non-contractual. It's simple: after you promotional rate, you threaten to leave. You'll get new pricing that you'll be happy with. Trust me. I've done it and it works like a charm. They don't want you to run off to satalite service so they will drop it.

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by pacwind3
                    I'm not trying to put anyone down here, but guys: really??? Service through Comcast and companys like them are non-contractual. It's simple: after you promotional rate, you threaten to leave. You'll get new pricing that you'll be happy with. Trust me. I've done it and it works like a charm. They don't want you to run off to satalite service so they will drop it.
                    Guess I'm from the old school. I always thought a contract was a contract.
                    Richard
                    Richard

Comment

• DaveS
                      • May 2003
                      • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by phrog
                      Guess I'm from the old school. I always thought a contract was a contract.
                      Richard
                      That's his point... there is no contract.

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by DaveS
                        That's his point... there is no contract.
                        I've been looking into Direct TV this week and there was a contract - two years with the price guaranteed for the first year but open to their terms for the second year. That was my point.
                        Richard

Comment

• herb fellows
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • New York City
                          • bt3100

There are no players in this game that are not downright evil.

While it's true that you can threaten to leave them after the trial period, is that really the way we want things to be? What about just being honest with me upfront? Not to play Pollyanna, but geez.....
                          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• John Hunter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                            • BT3000 & BT3100

Had Comcast for years, got tired of the price increases and dropped channels. We went with Direct TV about a year ago and I love it.
                            John Hunter

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

I hate subscription services when there are no alternatives or competition.

Many companies like the subscription model - such as cell phone industry and music industry - so that it can be guaranteed income. That is bankable. That business model is part of the reason Apple and the Music industry are in disputes - Subscription is company controlled for their benefit; Purchase is customer controlled.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...