Wings vs Pens

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pbui3057
    Established Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 114
    • Mather, CA
    • BT3000

    #16
    Yeah, Marian was pretty much a no show in the finals. Very disappointing. I think the officiating could have been better but that is not why they lost. Brad Stuart's 2 turnovers pretty much killed us. He should have assists in the 2 goals really.

    I think the big guns for both teams cancelled each other out and the role players really did a great job for the Pens. Whole new respect for Staal, Talbot and Guerin among a slew of other players that did a wonderful job. It'll be fun to have this rivalry for years to come.

    Comment

    • SARGE..g-47

      #17
      Not really uncommon in a Game 7 for the big guns to be covered and the peons have to become the shining stars. Even though I am a Penquins fan because my wife if from the Pittsburgh area and loves them... I really expected Game 7 to go to the home ice boys as both team won all games at home.

      I knew the Penq's were capable as they won 3 of 6 but just wasn't sure if they could show up in Detroit as they certainly didn't in the previous 3 games there. But.. you could say the same for the Wheels on Penq ice. But... lo and behold.. the Penq's not only showed up.. they played outstanding defense.. kept the puck off the springy boards in Joe Louiis Arena and had an outstanding game from their young goalie.

      I personally believe the young team had the advantage of stamina in what has been a very physical.. long haul from first rounds to final round. More experience for Detroit yes... less stamina probably... as I can relate from my age.

      Anyhoo.... congratulation to Penq's fans... there's always next year for Wing's fans.. are you listening Marian..

      Comment

      • sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • 1087
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

        #18
        A lot of the Wings players were playing hurt. Cleary had a severe groin pull and played anyway. Lidstrom took a spear to the testicles during the Chicago series and had to have surgery (and only missed 2 games WOW). Datsuyk had what most believe to be a broken foot. Those are just the serious injuries there were more Wings players playing hurt than that. Wonder what the Pens would do against a 100% healthy Wings team? The Wings beat themselves in the last game thanks to Brad Stuart. No sour grapes here just disappointment. Congrats Pens and Pens fans as well.

        Comment

        • Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 3152
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

          #19
          you mean I actually guessed right?!>?>!>!>>?!?!?!??!?!

          Where's that powerball ticket........
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

          If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

          Comment

          • mineengineer
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • 113
            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
            • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

            #20
            Way to go PENS, I was right. Hopefully we will both be in the playoffs again next year, really enjoy watching these two teams play against each other. Sorry Hossa, hope you don't become a bad luck symbol.
            Link

            Comment

            • sparkeyjames
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 1087
              • Redford MI.
              • Craftsman 21829

              #21
              Originally posted by mineengineer
              Way to go PENS, I was right. Hopefully we will both be in the playoffs again next year, really enjoy watching these two teams play against each other. Sorry Hossa, hope you don't become a bad luck symbol.
              Actually Hossa was a force during the regular season and early in the playoffs then he just disappeared during the Anaheim series and never came back. Kinda like he did last year for the Pens.

              Comment

              • tseavoy
                Established Member
                • May 2009
                • 200
                • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

                #22
                Having been born in Michigan (the UP) I was rooting for the Wings. I was glad to see those teams compete for the Stanley Cup. It was a great series and the players gave their all. It seems that the Pens strategy worked a little better. They covered the net very well. They also seemed to get more steals than the Wings.

                Tom on Marrowstone

                Comment

                Working...