Car question: What's a "running light wire"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Car question: What's a "running light wire"?

I'm trying to install a hitch light harness for my car. There are 5 wires I have
    to connect. Brake light, left turn signal, right turn signal, ground, and running
    light. I got the first four connected but I don't know what a running light
    wire is. I found a wiring diagram for my car and it was wrong! Is the running
    light, the light that comes on at the rear of the car when you turn on the
    headlights? Does the running light essentially turn on the brake light but at
    a lower voltage?

Thanks, Paul
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Running lights are the side lights/markers and/or the rear lights that come on with the headlights.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Wood_workur
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Ohio
      • Ryobi bt3100-1

I believe you will want to connect it to the circuit that is for your tail lights.
      Alex

Comment

• softop41
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Plainfield, IL, USA.
        • BT3100-1

trailer wiring

atcgpaul,
        Tom & Alex are correct. The 'running' lights are the front 'parking' lights, the side marker lights, and the tail lights. Find a wire in the rear of the vehicle that is 'hot' when the tail lights are on and connect the brown wire from the conventional trailer harness to it. Generally, the green is the right turn and brake wire and yellow wire is the left turn and brake wire. White is a wired ground instead of using the trailer coupler contact to the hitch ball as a ground. Usually, a 5th (blue) wire is for trailers with electric brakes.
        Here is a link to how to wire 4 thru 7 way trailer connectors. http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx
        If your tow vehicle has the current tail light configuration that uses a separate bulb for each of the three functions, you will need a converter to go between the vehicle and the trailer to convert three single function bulbs to one three function bulb.
        HTH,
        Jerry
        Jerry
        Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

What Jerry said. Most trailer harnesses (well 5, but white doesn't count) are brown w/yellow stripe, yellow, brown w/green stripe, green and white is ground. The brown wire is your running lights/tail/lights for each side. Do you have a pre-made harness available for your car? My old van didn't but the new van does. There was a panel in the rear of the car with a spot to plug the harness in to. It made it much easier.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• knotley
            Established Member
            • Apr 2003
            • Canada.

Discover your vehicle trailer-ready solution explore our selection of custom-fit trailer. From tail light converters to wiring harnesses, fifth wheel and gooseneck wiring, and more, we've got everything you need to get hitched up and hit the road safely.
            Last edited by knotley; 05-24-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Excellent! Funny. I bought my hitch and wiring harness from etrailer but you
              guys have come through in spades--again! We'll see what their tech support
              comes back with.

Thanks everyone for the information and that link. I guess I got so blinded
              by the frustration of this wiring thing that I never found that link myself.

Thanks!
              Paul

Comment

Working...