• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Anything Wrong Here?

Do you find anything questionable in THIS video?
  • WoodTherapist
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Levelling the drawer slides in a cabinet sitting on the garage floor? If it is like my garage, the floor is definitely not level - it slopes away from the drain.

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Do you think his "pilot holes" are deep enough for the screws?
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by WoodTherapist
        Levelling the drawer slides in a cabinet sitting on the garage floor? If it is like my garage, the floor is definitely not level - it slopes away from the drain.
        I see nothing in the video that indicates the cabinet carcass isn't already level.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• WoodTherapist
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006

I thought I saw it wobble quite a bit when the slide was installed and when the drawer was inserted, but maybe these old eyes are seeing things. Anyway, I can’t think what else Cabinetman might have been talking about. Any ideas?

Comment

• WoodTherapist
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

Maybe cabinetman noticed that the drawer slides are being installed before the cabinet back was installed, and so the cabinet might be out of square? If it is not that or the out-of-level thing, then I give up. Tell us, cabinetman!

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by WoodTherapist

This is the way I see it. It wasn't made clear that the cabinet was leveled first or not. In any case, I square the slides to the front vertical edge of the cabinet (with a framing square).

For a single drawer, I figure out where the slide goes in relation to height, and then use a framing square to layout a line with marks on the line for holes to be punched and predrilled. If it's a bank of drawers, I'll make a pattern (1/4" ply) that sits on the floor of the cabinet and square to the front of the cabinet. It will already have the layout on the pattern for the holes. The same pattern is used for both sides.

Then mounting the slides is just a matter of screwing them on.

Comment

• bruce hylton
                Established Member
                • Dec 2008
                • winlock, wa
                • Dewalt today

I just stack boxes and when they get full I replace them. No worries that way. Apple boxes work well.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Made me smile when he put the second screw in and obviously didn't use a centering drill bit to pilot the hole. As he tightened the screw, the runner is dragged down off level.

Ray.
                  Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...