WW Accident - how it happened...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 3136
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

    #1

    WW Accident - how it happened...

    I remember this rather vividly!

    Something I have done many times - and SHOULDN't have

    I was ripping a 1/2" strip (off about 2" wide x 18" long).

    Overhead guard, MJsplitter. About 3/4 of the way thru, I reached around the back of the guard to pull the strip thru - couldn't quite get a grip and moved my right hand toward the back of the saw blade - only about 1/2" and BANG!

    Moral: Don't EVER take a "shortcut" to do something that can be done safely several (other) different ways...
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    I only wish I had three arms, so that I could then use three push sticks.

    Comment

    • RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 1179
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

      #3
      Rod said it all,

      and Uncle C has my blessings on the 3 arms! WITH PUSH STICKS THAT IS.

      Comment

      • pacwind3
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 257
        • Vancouver, WA
        • Bosch 4100

        #4
        Thanks for posting what happened Rod. I am really sorry to hear about it, but spreading the word helps. Should keep someone else from doing the same thing.
        Also made me very glad I've now bought a new saw with a nice blade guard.

        Comment

        • thestinker
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 613
          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

          #5
          All my push sticks are shop made, and they all have small chunks missing from the tips of them. Thanks for the visuals Rod. Hope you are feeling better and gald you are making back out to the shed.
          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

          Comment

          • Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • 6021
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

            #6
            I haven't been online for a few days, so I might have missed a few posts. It's amazing how many times we can get away with something before it bites us. I guess the best piece of safety equipment we have is our brain. If only we'd just use it like we should. Hope you're feeling a lot better by now.

            Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

            For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

            Comment

            • krogers
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • 131
              • Garden City, New York, USA.

              #7
              Another question for Rod

              Rod, first let me say thank you for sharing your story. I am sure all of us will benefit greatly from the lesson. I have been wondering one thing, do you think a Sawstop table saw would have helped in your situation? Would it have limited or lessened the damage? - Kevin

              Comment

              • RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • 3136
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

                #8
                Originally posted by krogers
                Rod, first let me say thank you for sharing your story. I am sure all of us will benefit greatly from the lesson. I have been wondering one thing, do you think a Sawstop table saw would have helped in your situation? Would it have limited or lessened the damage? - Kevin
                Based on what have read - yes.
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

                Comment

                Working...