• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Do you guys mean making it easy for them by putting my plans on the site?
    http://leestyron.com/sharkguard_plans.php

Truthfully if someone thinks they could do a better job of it, they are more than welcome to try.
    I do have many other things I would like to build, but simply have no time due to sharks.
    I never got a patent and it's a good thing because I have changed the design so many times. With $10,000 to $15,000 per patent at least, that would have been money down the drain. Especially with a product that is easily copied.

I have passed way beyond the point where I am comfortable with the lead time. This is far from a hobby, however doing these di get me into something I really like doing. That is cnc. I have a blast with that stuff.

My production is tuned as much as it can be at this point. I just cannot eke anymore out of myself or my machines.
    Hiring another guy isn't yet possible because I simply do not have the room in the shop.
    I have built another steel building that will eventually house all my cnc equipment. It is only 20' by 22'.
    That should be enough room then for an empolyee. LOML was a book keeper long ago, so she handles all that.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
    Keep them coming.
    Lee

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Stytooner
      [EmilyLitella]
      Oh. That's very different. Never mind.
      [/EmilyLitella]

Not only plans, but step-by-step build instructions! I have to say, I've been to your web site probably a dozen times over the years, and had never noticed that before. Which makes me wonder how many others have overlooked it, as well ...?

While I too have concerns like Sam's, I guess your having made the plans available already pretty well shoots all the necessary holes in that particular argument. Fair enough.

I do have many other things I would like to build, but simply have no time due to sharks.
      I suppose one question about kits, then, would be how many of them you'd sell, and how much time the kit business would take away from your doing those other things. No way to ever know unless you go ahead and market the kits, I suppose.
      Larry

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by Stytooner
        I visited the site to see if you still had the plans up, I remembered them from many moons ago. I didn't consider them to be a consideration in this discussion since they are for a first generation Shark Guard and as you said, it has evolved quite a bit over the years.

In the end, it seems as though your main concern is to get your product onto the table saws of as many woodworkers as possible because you feel it makes them safer, not because you wanna make a bunch of money in doing so. If profit is not a huge part of the consideration, then I think it is a great plan.
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks, Guys.
          Sam, you are right. My goal was to get good guarding on saws that didn't come with any or for guys that couldn't afford 3 and 4 hundred bucks for some overarm thingy. I also always wanted to provide a design that someone might actually be able to build themselves.
          I think I have accomplished both those goals to an extent.

I have always considered myself to be more of a contractor rather than a manufacturer. Ergo these are all being made custom to order. I don't know of any other manufacturers that have step by step plans readily available either. If I don't make something to fit your saw, I work with you to design something in most cases. There is no R&D cost to you even though I may never sell another one like it.

I make nearly 60 different models now. That is the splitter and riving knife patterns.
          I make 3 different overarm covers. I make 4 different sized sharks just for 10" saws. Then I make a few different sized heavy duty guards for saws as big as 14". I cannot comprehend the size warehouse and work force I would have to have to have stock built up to be able to ship the same day or even the same week.

By far what now takes me the longest is the finishing. There are more parts and steps to finishing these than meets the eye. Once I do a step by step process with pictures on these, then that may become clearer.

There are very few guys that I know of that have actually used these plans to make their own shark. The newer design is up on that page as well, but still a little incomplete. No one to date has ever asked for the full set that I can recall.

As for building the actual kits, I don't think it's rocket science. The guys that would choose to build it must have some ability. Even if not, the most that could go wrong is they get too much glue on it. Then it's a cosmetic issue. These guards are chemically welded, but they also have mechanical fasteners to hold them together should the chemical bond fail. It really is fairly fool proof.

Not everyone will want to build the kits either. Some might though and the way I'm thinking is that in this case, it may reduce my lead time at least by a few weeks. If I can get it back down somewhere below 7 or 8 weeks, then I would feel much better about it.

Something else that may come from making DIY sharks is that someone may find they really like to build them as I do. They may become available to do more of them for other guys. His would still be labelled DIY Sharks, so any quality issues would be on him. I have worked with several guys over the years though and ultimately everything lays back on my shoulders. I am perfectly comfortable with that of course. I am proud and confident with what I ship. The lead times are about the only burr in my shoe on these. It has always been so though.

I guess the only real way to do this is to make a batch of DIY sharks and test the waters. Perhaps make them available only on a limited basis. I first have to do the photography and plan writing. When I get that far, I holler.

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. You guys have enlightened me. It is you guys that have helped me to build this up anyway.
          Lee

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

It is hard to believe there isn't someone in your area who is out of work but has production experience and the tools and space for the assembly.

I'd look to subcontract if I were you. You provide the kits to someone who finishes them for you.

Selling the kits is still a good idea perhaps. I am suggesting you can do both.
            Doug Kerfoot
            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Habe
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I would be interested in doing a shark guard as a kit. It would be no different to me then building something else from a kit. It may even help to understand how it helps dust collection etc.
              Habe

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                It is hard to believe there isn't someone in your area who is out of work but has production experience and the tools and space for the assembly.

I'd look to subcontract if I were you. You provide the kits to someone who finishes them for you.

Selling the kits is still a good idea perhaps. I am suggesting you can do both.

I've approached several guys, some pretty handy themselves. Most are just either awed or intimidated by the process. This is a little learining curve to gluing these up perfectly, but when my son started out, he was able to make his first efforts look good. Much better than my first efforts. Of course he had the benefit of using tools I had already proven to work the best. Not just any old syringe and plastic needle will work.
                The solvent doess melt thermoplastic and I use a plastic needle and syringe, so it has to be just the right stuff.

I haven't contacted the employment office for help.
                I am considering that, but only after I complete my larger shop. Then it will be strictly cnc machines and assembly areas. My wood shop will then be converted back to a um....wood shop. The cnc machines require no knowledge of cnc now. I can teach how to load and unload and run those in about 5 minutes.
                Welding the guards in about the same amount of time. Powder coating is a little tougher and I would continue to do all that myself.

No powder coating on these kits, but with the rattle cans paints available nowadays, there are some very good coatings available at the hardware store. DIY.

I still have to iron out a few things on the kits. I drill the holes in the tops now for the dust ports after they are welded up. For a kit, I will need to make the top part two peices. Not difficult, but just another fixture I need on my cnc router.

Habe, I sent you a PM.
                Thanks.
                Lee

Comment

Working...