Heartfelt thanks (& a challenge)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 3136
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

    #1

    Heartfelt thanks (& a challenge)

    I don't know how to really express my thanks to everyone, for your support and encouragement. Just know that you guys are making ALL the difference to how I'm feeling right now

    The challenge - after 3 days back in the Shed.

    I seem to be able to do almost everything I've done before - albeit slowly or awkwardly. Except:

    How the **** do I use a nail punch! I guess when my short thumb is less painful, I can swap hands - punch in the left, hammer in the right (a frightening thought )

    The other thought I had - surprise - some sort of jig to hold the punch (?)

    Any suggestions, guys?
    Last edited by RodKirby; 05-08-2009, 12:49 PM.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • stormdog74
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 426
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

    #2
    This might work:

    www.unc.edu/~johu/school/report.do

    Glad to hear your back on the horse again.

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      How 'bout a vise grip?
      .

      Comment

      • gary
        Senior Member
        • May 2004
        • 893
        • Versailles, KY, USA.

        #4
        Get an Automated Center Punch and you only need one hand. Here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_center_punch
        Gary

        Comment

        • LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • 6693
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

          #5
          Gary's suggestion is great for a center punch. For a nail set, experiment with holding the punch using only your fingers ... for example, put your index finger and pinkie on the "inside" of the punch (nearest your body), and your middle and ring fingers on the "outside."

          On a closely related matter ... aren't you left-handed? Or am I remembering wrong?
          Larry

          Comment

          • LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • 4890
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

            #6
            If that hand isn't too sore to use, use some needle or long nose pliers to hold it. With small enough handles, that your palm will hold shut.

            Or, Have someone who trusts your swinging ability, hold the set, then go grab a MUCH bigger hammer (16lb sledge)
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

            Comment

            • poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 3196
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

              #7
              how about a simple piece of wood with a hole in it thick enough to keep the punch vertical
              Jon

              Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
              ________________________________

              We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

              Comment

              • pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • 4217
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

                #8
                I was thinking about a 6" or 7" long square (or dowel) piece that could be gripped with the palm and fingers. The punch is held at the end with a piece of inner tube or the like, perpendicular to the handle.
                Erik

                Comment

                • RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 3136
                  • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

                  #9
                  Thanks, guys.

                  Stormdog74 - broken link...

                  LarryG - Yes left handed, otherwise I'd be in real trouble.

                  Gary+ - The center punch sounds doable - more later...
                  Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

                  Comment

                  • stormdog74
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 426
                    • Sacramento, CA
                    • Ridgid TS3650

                    #10
                    Originally posted by RodKirby

                    Stormdog74 - broken link...
                    Sorry about that - try this:

                    www.unc.edu/~johu/school/report.doc

                    It is a word document, but an interesting read and it has pictures. It was for someone who had a brain tumor and the radiation caused paralysis of his right arm.

                    Comment

                    • pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 4217
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

                      #11
                      I saw something similar to what I was talking about at woodcraft this afternoon.

                      http://www.amazon.com/ThumbSaver-TS0...1822775&sr=8-1
                      Erik

                      Comment

                      • gary
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2004
                        • 893
                        • Versailles, KY, USA.

                        #12
                        Try this for a nail set. The center section moves and it'll put less shock on the hand holding it.

                        http://www.amazon.com/Malco-TNP2S-St...1823539&sr=1-5

                        Gary

                        Comment

                        • RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 3136
                          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

                          #13
                          Originally posted by pelligrini
                          I saw something similar to what I was talking about at woodcraft this afternoon.

                          http://www.amazon.com/ThumbSaver-TS0...1822775&sr=8-1
                          That will be great - but they won't ship to Oz (?) Maybe because it is magnetic?

                          Also http://www.amazon.com/Malco-TNP2S-St...1823539&sr=1-5

                          Can anyone help?
                          Last edited by RodKirby; 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM.
                          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

                          Comment

                          • cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 2812
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

                            #14
                            Rod,

                            Sounds like you're feeling a bit chipper again. Nice to hear that you're getting back into things quickly.

                            As far as the nail punch goes, try positioning it between your fingers, with the index and ring finger on one side and the middle finger on the other. I think you can hold it quite firmly that way and have good control. Problem will be picking it up and for awhile anyway, I imagine you'll have to position it with the help of your other hand.

                            Kindest regards and wishes for a quick recovery,

                            CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

                            Comment

                            • gary
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2004
                              • 893
                              • Versailles, KY, USA.

                              #15
                              Rod, I hope you can appreciate this. I asked my wife about your problem and she said you needed an artificial thumb extension and then called it a "sacrificial thumb". I about fell out of chair laughing at that.
                              Gary

                              Comment

                              Working...