• Show
Clear All
  • Rich P
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Not sure I believe this...

Got this from a Fine Homebuilding feed...seems to me that the human body would have absorbed this thing long ago...it was not a lead bullet. Still, it's a strange event. Is this possible?

30 year old nail?
    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Can't see the video on this system, but if the human body can't disolve (where was it lodged?), something, or cause its removal, through an oriface, then it tends to encapsulate it, in order to neutralize it, until it can.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

Fifteen years ago, my wife asked me to look at a bump on her heel. It sort of looked like a plantar's wart.

She wanted me to probe the bump with a needle and being a 'curious' kinda guy, I did.

The needle hit some thing with a sort of clink. She said, "Get a tweezer and pull whatever it is out of there". So I did.

It was a pointed piece of beer bottle about 1/4" by 1"long". She remembered stepping on some glass at her uncle's lake home 40 yers before. The piece had worked its way from the ball of her foot to the back of her heel. Her shoes felt a lot more comfortable after that.

A week later, I pulled a piece of broken sewing mchine needle from daughters' heel. It looked like it had been here a long time.

My family now calls me 'Dr. Dad"!
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

When I was in high school a buddy shot a bb into his palm. He was captain of the swim team. I don't remember the circumstances exactly except that to get the bb out would have required surgery and he would have missed the championships or something. So he just left it there. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. He emailed me to say that last month a lump started growing on the back of his wrist. He was worried and went to the Dr. The Dr did some x-rays and sent him to a surgeoun who extracted the bb.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I had a router bit bearing fly off about 25 years ago, I wonder if...
          Last edited by cabinetman; 04-28-2009, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

I could tell you some stories about botfly infestations but I will refrain for the time being...
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Thanks, Germdoc!

To paraphrase, 'I'm not a doctor, but I've seen Dr shows on tv'! i'm guessing that as long as it wasn't exposed to acid in the stomach, it might not have dissolved.
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• tuttlejr
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

Remember Robert Ripley's Believe it or Not books and articles?
                Bob Tuttle

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Hey Ecc,

Maybe some shoes for your family are in order. Ya gotta stop buying all them tools!

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

ecc, i think you need to clear the floors in your house of any object that may be deemed sharp, otherwise 40yrs from now your kids will be pulling things out of their feet .

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

I was stabbed with a graphite pencil back in grammar school. You can still see a little bluish dot where it was (my first tattoo), I'm betting it's still floating around in my arm somewhere, it's only been 25-30 years.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

I had a piece of lead break off in my palm. You can still see it, although it is very faint now. That's been over 50 years ago.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Rich P
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                          • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

So, we have glass, lead, graphite and what ever BB's are made of, as well as someone doing surgery on his wife's head? I would sooner believe an IPE splinter lasting this long.

And, BTW, anyone else had their LOML ask them to examine her head?

If you took a nail and left it out in the elements (not in the desert, but say in the Everglades) for 30 years would it still exist? Maybe this guy thought he had a clogged sinus for 30 years and finally found a tissue?

I remember the Sunday comics when I was a kid and there was a panel or so on Ripley's. This one reminds me of the PT Barnum line about "this was to the egress"!

Did anyone ever find that egress thingy?
                          Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by Rich P
                            . This one reminds me of the PT Barnum line about "this was to the egress"!

Did anyone ever find that egress thingy?

LOL, They found the Egress all the time, when he had the museum. I can't tell from your post if your being cynical or not.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• docrowan
                              • Mar 2007
                              • New Albany, MS
                              • BT3100

Rust is simply iron oxide, or a combination of iron and oxygen. There is no free oxygen inside the human body (except, of course the lungs and occasionally the stomach), therefore nails or other iron objects will not rust in the ordinary way. The oxygen carried by blood is bound up in hemoglobin.
                              - Chris.

Comment

Working...