• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Interview Advice

For those of you who don't know, I went back to college a couple of years ago after 13 years of working and some time in the military. I'm "phone interviewing" for a summer internship at a large company on Monday morning. The last interview I've had was in 2000. My background experience is very different from the position I am applying for but I'm 10 years older than the average college student so I actually have experience on my resume. As far as I know I am qualified for the position and they are typically just looking for an interested college senior with good grades.

Any tips on a phone interview?
    Any questions I should be prepared for?
    How much should I promote the fact that I am older and more experienced than average even though it is in a different field of work?
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

Be prepared for the 'why should we hire you'

They always ask that one. Be sure to be polite sounding, and enunciate since phones make hearing what the other party is saying even harder. And make sure you really sell yourself for the job. Show them why you are the best choice.
    Alex

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Don't be a one-trick pony.
      Never pin all your 'attributes' to a single quality/experience/skill (or even a narrow set). You never know, you might meet an interviewer who starts off with, "Look, I am aware you have work experience, but apart from that, what else do you bring to the table?" And there you'd be, scrambling for other reasons!

Take a blank sheet of paper, and get ready to 'interview' yourself on the basis of your resume : ie, pretend you own that company and want to seriously consider a candidate before offering a job. Chalk up questions that you think should be asked, like "okay, all your experience is in a different field, so it's irrelevant to me, so why should I hire you?". And then, write down a real, sincere answer, something that'd convince your dad or elder brother ...

Believe me, you do all that exercise sincerely, you will convince anybody on the other side of the phone that you can do the job.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

A couple of suggestions, in addition to the excellent ones above:

1) Make the interviewer understand that you are looking for the right opportunity to put your life and work experiences to good use for your employer.

2) Don't drop dime on your former employers, but be ready to describe the circumstances of your leaving in a neutral light (or better), but only if specifically asked this by the interviewer.

3) Emphasize your maturity and the fact that you are ready to take on challenges and responsibilities.

4) Many interviewers will try to rattle you (I am notoriously one of those). It's designed to see how you handle pressure, particularly from your superiors. Try not to get anxious or defensive, and if you lose your temper, it's over.

5) Speak clearly and thoughtfully. Don't ramble on like I do on this forum...

6) Before you interview, practice with spouse or friend. Ask them to see if they can sneak a curveball or two by you. It will keep you on your toes.

7) This is gonna seem like BS (especially since it's coming from me) but seriously, shower, shave and dress business casual. If you look your best and feel your best, you'll be more comfortable, even though it's a phone interview.

I won't tell you "Good Luck". You won't need it. If you ace the interview, you'll get the job. If they go another way, they just didn't have sense enough to hire you. On to other opportunities...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Uncle has a lot of good points. I would add, use a real phone and not a cell phone or a speaker phone. You need to sound your best. Phone from a place with no extraneous sounds and don't make any yourself. You need to sound professional, no kids screaming in the background and avoid coughing and sneezing.

The interviewer is not collecting information but is trying to get a read on you. Your answers must sell you and not just provide information.

You need to decide beforehand what you will do if the interviewer asks questions that they should not ask.

At some point the 'what do you do in your free time' question will come up. Have a broad spectrum answerer that the interviewer can find a connection with.

The words Yes and No should never be used by themselves.

If there are things you can't or won't do don't quibble, be upfront when the question comes up.

It would be good to know why the company is offering the summer internship. Are they looking for willing fodder for scud work? Skill sets to augment the staff or is it a tryout for a real job. Whatever the reason you need to present yourself as a viable candidate to fill their wants.

Remember too, that while they are interviewing you, you are interviewing them. Write out the questions you want to ask. I always thought the questions asked by the candidate told more than any questions I could ask them.

good hunting,
          Bill

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Not much to add to what's been said...all very good. You might slip in your preference of an "in person" interview. Try not to sound rehearsed. Since your experience is not that pertinent, there may be qualities you possess that would make them "want" you over the others.

This type of interview has sides. It may be them singling out the "right person", and/or you selling yourself.

I sold Kirby vacuums door to door to help pay my way through college. I think part of a successful salesman is to make the client buy your product even if they don't need it. And then of course, you don't get a sale unless you ask for it, but don't beg.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Everything said above is perfect.

I can't wait to hear how this goes. I think once the interviewers figure out that you are experienced and mature and that they can pay you intern's wages, that they are going to be on you like white on rice.

Good luck!

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                7) This is gonna seem like BS (especially since it's coming from me) but seriously, shower, shave and dress business casual. If you look your best and feel your best, you'll be more comfortable, even though it's a phone interview.
                This is a great tip. I've been working in the corporate environment for 15 years at several different companies. With a few exceptions I can count on one hand there is a direct correlation between the quality of work and the care the person takes in their appearance. Even when I work at home I shower, shave and at minimum wear nice jeans and a polo shirt.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

If the company has a web-site.. go to it and learn every detail you can about that company. If they don't... find out what you can from employee's.. friends.. anyone knowledgeable of that company. On the phone inter-ject details of the company in questions you ask and questions you answer.

I have seen people show up for an inter-view and at some point ask what the company does which is a tell you are just looking for a job in lieu of a future with a company you have researched and are impressed enough with to seek employment with them.

Good luck...

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

Great tip, Sarge! I am really impressed with the advice here. Definitely have things that are important to you (no, not the amount of vacation time, some things are better left unsaid :-)), written down.
                    There is nothing worse than playing the 'I wish I'd said that' game after an interview. The phone interview is a definite advantage here. It's unseemly to constantly be turning over your hand to read notes during a live interview:-)!
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Sarge was spot on. Not only get to know as much as you can about the company, but know its competitors, try to get a feel of where "your" company stands in its field. Try to see what kind of advertisements they use and like-wise for the competition.

As a former creative director in an ad agency, I've found that how they "show" themselves is almost as important as who they are.

Also, try to convey a sense of what you can do for them (as it relates to the bottom line) and whatever you do, don't appear hungry or to pushy. Nobody wants to hire a "used car salesman".

Go out and ACE it.

Bruce
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

Thanks for the advice so far.

My plan is not to regurgitate my resume but to explain how my experience and schooling tie together. I do need to review a few concepts they may ask about. I already have the habit of making notes/scripts for phone calls to make sure I hit the topics I want to hit and to document the conversation.

The company I am interviewing with is LARGE, all of you know of at least one product or system they produce, they've been around a long time. I am not real familiar with the division I will work at but I am researching it this weekend. I do know the basics of this division already.

My interviewers already have my resume with a cover letter. I have had basic direct emails with them and this interview was solicited through management, not from HR filling a position. I have "spoken" of past experience and work ethic and the potential to have a career with their company.

Pressure usually builds my "A" game. I speak well and am not afraid to talk to anyone but I am not a salesman.

I'm not too concerned about salary at this point in time, they have a set range and this is a temporary job. My main objective is to have resume filler in this type of work and to get my foot in the door to see if I'd like to work there, some jobs pay more than dollars.

one side note, If I take this job I'll move 3 hours away from my wife and home for the summer. My wife is fine with this, we've done this before for 2 years when I was in the military. Funny thing was last time it was 3 hours south, this time it's north but on the same highway.
                        Last edited by Tom Slick; 04-25-2009, 01:54 PM.
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• scmhogg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000

Tom,

You've received some great advice. This forum always amazes me with its breadth. Imagine a serious response from Uncle C.

An old radio trick--You sound more authoritative if you stand up when you speak and you sound enthusiastic if you smile while you are speaking. Try it with LOML on the phone, without her being able to see you.

Steve
                          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• stormdog74
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2007
                            • Sacramento, CA
                            • Ridgid TS3650

A lot of great advice so far.

I would add that you should just be yourself - I know, cliched, but you will perform better if you are honest about yourself and your strengths and weaknesses - and if they don't like you, then you are not a good match. I have seen so many people come in who try to BS their way through, but EVERYONE sees through that.

And be honest about your weaknesses - please, no "I tend to work too hard" stuff - they want to know your true weaknesses AND that you recognize them and are working on improving them.

And to reiterate what Sarge said - know the company! Really know it - not just mention names and such. What can you add to the company?

Good luck!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by scmhogg
                              Imagine a serious response from Uncle C.
                              Yeah, I know. It's not easy for me, but I realize that, especially this day and age, a guy's livelihood is no joking matter...

Comment

Working...