• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Windows 7

My recent Linux posts notwithstanding, I finally had some time this week to play with the Windows 7 Beta. I was surprised. I haven't had much experience with Vista except to install it and use it enough to decide I didn't likeit. I also attempted to use it on the computers of some family members. So far, Win 7 is everything Vista is not. It didn't have drivers for my SCSI, video or audio adapters but I was able to load the XP drivers and it ran just fine. Vista did not want to load them or the driver for my DVD burner.

It loads much faster than XP and even faster than Linux on the same machine, although I will retest this after I clutter it up with antivirus, software etc. The install is much more straightfoward than it is with XP and lets you load drivers from USB key if you want to. Everything is in a slightly different place so that will take some getting used to. I've installed a few apps and so far it is pretty stable. The one thing I don't like is file/printer sharing. On the surface it insists I create a workgroup when I share out a folder or printer. I need to investigate this to see if I can make it stand-alone.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I would hope MS would recognize that even they can't afford two miserable failures in a row. Sounds like it won't be the case, so that's good. Exactly how good? We'll wait and see...

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Windows 7 - Son of XP

Or...

Windows Vista - son of ME

Yes, I think they got the message. Since I have a dual processor, 2.7GHz, 64 bit system with 2 GB of memory, and 7,200 rpm drives, I really don't need 7's minor speed improvements. I plan to begin thinking about an OS upgrade sometime around 2014, when security support for XP goes away.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

From what I have heard, Windows 7, is kinda a combo of XP, and WinCE. It is supposed to be great on Netbooks (where I see most talk).
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...