• Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

From the shop today...

A little self-therapeutic puttering today resulted in these:

The set is Desert Ironwood - Flat-Top American pen/pencil in Gold Titanium
    The pink pen is Pink Ivory - Wall Street II Elegant in Black Titanium/Platinum
    The silver pen is "Lava" Acrylic - Ultra Cigar in Chrome/Satin Chrome
    Attached Files
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Them are some right nice pens. How 'bout some details on that acrylic one. That's pretty cool. What exactly is the material?

Yep, that's exactly what I need...do woodworking to relax... not. Besides, my lathe is no great manifestation of engineering excellence. It's a cheap import that can produce some semblance of a spindle or baluster. I haven't tried a pen yet. I think if I did, I'd want a better lathe, and then all the cool pen related tools, and on and on and on.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
      How 'bout some details on that acrylic one. That's pretty cool. What exactly is the material?
      The material is the "Lava" acrylic blank from Woodcraft (and elsewhere). Here is the link. The hardware is the Berea Ultra Cigar kit, which also can be had at Woodcraft. This is the link for that one.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        The material is the "Lava" acrylic blank from Woodcraft (and elsewhere). Here is the link.

Thanks for the link. I went there but it didn't say what the acrylic was. Is it a methyl methacrylate - an organic compound with the formula CH2=C(CH3)CO2CH3 (like Plexiglas)? It looks like it is a casting of different colors mixed randomly. Or, is it an extrusion?

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

One of these days I have to try my hand at turning. Those look great UC.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Is it a methyl methacrylate - an organic compound with the formula CH2=C(CH3)CO2CH3 (like Plexiglas)?
            Heck, I dunno... When I see a good-looking girl, I don't ask her blood type... I'll see if I can find out.

It looks like it is a casting of different colors mixed randomly. Or, is it an extrusion?
            I'm pretty sure it's done as a sheet with secondary colors mixed into the primary before it sets up (not sure how the intermix takes place). I suppose the sheet could be either extruded or cast in place. Then it's cut into strips. Each blank has two opposite sides with a mirror original finish, and the two others have saw marks.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              Heck, I dunno... When I see a good-looking girl, I don't ask her blood type...

If I was single in these times I'd not only ask her blood type, but require a complete blood test workup, and have a dermatologist check out every square inch of epidermis before I do. Might be worth the cost.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

That is some great looking pens! The photo of the lava pen certain reveals the beauty inside.

I spent the day doing some pens for a change. It sure is good to be able to make a few.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Whaler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Sequim, WA, USA.
                  • DW746

Great looking pens. I really like that cigar, I have done several with that lava blank and like the results.
                  Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about with all that material "mumbo jumbo" you guys are discussing but... the pens are real "purty" for sure regardless of what-ever they're made of.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Those are some great looking pens. If the news is good tomorrow (fingers crossed), you should make a pink one for your niece. Keep us informed on that.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Ed62
                        If the news is good tomorrow (fingers crossed), you should make a pink one for your niece. Keep us informed on that.
                        Already been thinking about that, Ed... I've got my brain around a snow-white Holly job with an inlaid pink ribbon and a "Believe..." inscription. I'll post to that thread as soon as I receive any news.

Comment

Working...