• Show
Clear All
  • OpaDC
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Pensacola, FL
    • Ridgid TS3650

House Buying TV shows

If you really want to know how we got into the mortgage mess, try watching some of the house buying shows on TV. My first place, property virgins, house hunters, etc. Seems like all the realtors try to max out the buyers pre approved loan amount. Some even go over a little with the "It's only a little more" line. And the poor first time buyers. Does anyone think to tell them to try and find out how much utilities will cost? Most are moving from small homes or apartments to good sized houses. They have no clue how much heating/cooling is going to cost them. And then there are the couples that live in 3 bedroom 1800 sq. ft. houses that are having their first child and need a bigger house for the growing family! And of course one MUST have granite counter tops, hardwood floors, bath for every occupant plus guests with full body showers, or you have moved into a ghetto house.
    Maybe it's just me.

second star to the right and straight on til morning
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I agree. I was watching one episode where the couple lived in a 2500 sqft house and decided it was too small for their new family of three so they moved into 3500 sqft. They were probably going to step up from a Expedition to an Excursion just to make sure they had enough room for junior.

The "flip" shows are also terrible. They make it seem like anyone can do it and contractors are buffoons that must be constantly argued with. They hire crappy contractors for next to nothing then can't figure out why everything goes wrong. I'd never buy a "flipped" house.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• newood2
      • Aug 2004
      • Brooklyn, NY.
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by OpaDC
      or you have moved into a ghetto house.
      Maybe it's just me.
      Would you explain your definition of "a ghetto house"? Or you should check webster for the meaning. When you do, you may want to keep your culturally biased stereotyped "code worded" opinion out of your post.

Comment

• OpaDC
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Pensacola, FL
        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by newood2
        Would you explain your definition of "a ghetto house"? Or you should check webster for the meaning. When you do, you may want to keep your culturally biased stereotyped "code worded" opinion out of your post.
        I don't use words that I don't know the definition for. I know EXACTLY what ghetto means without using the dictionary, thank you very much. There was no "code word". This is a legitimate word that says what I wanted it to say. Would trailer trash have suited your tastes better? And how DARE you accuse me of culturally biased stereotyping. You have no idea who I am or my background. I used this term for the explicit intent of belittling the people who feel they are owed something and will settle for nothing less than what they think the world owes them.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• TheChief
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2008
          • Kentucky
          • Craftsman 21829

Recent popular usage of the word "ghetto" has tended to bypass any cultural "edges" from the word -- edges which were themselves caused by previous popular usage (and were not limited to any one culture, by the way). There are at least four etymologies for "ghetto" that have nothing to do with culture.

In current vernacular "ghetto" tends more toward indicating a mode of sub-standard living or, in some cases, sub-standard work or repairs ("Had to use duct tape to seal the radiator hose; it was a ghetto repair but it got us to the gas station.") and generally expresses an impression rather than a condemnation of the subject.

In the context of my experience and of the original posting, I sensed no "code" meaning. Just because one chooses to be offended does not mean that any offense was intended.

That said, those shows offend me more than anything I've read on these forums. LOML loves them but it almost makes me ill to hear of tiny houses or even "updated" back yard patio grill areas selling for or costing more than I've made in my entire working life....
          TheChief
          "You emptied the dust collector? Dude... some of my best work was in there!"

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

In the context of my experience and of the original posting, I sensed no "code" meaning. Just because one chooses to be offended does not mean that any offense was intended.
            I'd agree. Maybe its because certain topics are off-limits here and/or maybe it's because the bad apples quickly leave but I've been very impressed by the absence of prejudice and the abundance of respect people have for one another on these forums. And that's exactly how it should be.

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Getting back on topic, is anyone surprised that a realtor asks you what you're looking to spend, then goes 25-50 k higher than that?
              My real life experience is exactly that, with both realtors and car salesmen. In my experience, they have always gone higher than what I quoted as what I could afford.
              In this case at least, art (well, maybe calling tv art is a stretch!) imitates life!
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• stormdog74
                Established Member
                • Mar 2007
                • Sacramento, CA
                • Ridgid TS3650

What I find amazing is that these first time buyers are still putting little to nothing down - I know these shows are taped, but many of them are 2009 airings, so it can be that long ago. Are banks still really giving 100% financing?!

Comment

• Mar 2004
                  • Northern NJ, USA.
                  • BT3100

I always thought ghetto, originally, referred to a Jewish area of a city (Warsaw, Berlin, etc.) and that it was only of recent vintage that it became used for other minorities. As such, the word has been diluted and refers, me thinks and understands, to a poorer area of a city, and hence to a colloquial reference to substandard. I always used it that way when growing up, telliing people that I lived in the ghetto of Evanston, IL (between Oakton and Howard, anyone know the PM Club across the street on the Chicago side, they'd serve 11 year olds I swear).

However, wikipedia suggests it isn't necessarily poor, but an ethnic enclave, and refers to the first ghetto as being Irish in Manhattan. Then other european immigrant waves from the 1800's to 1900's had their ghettos. They suggest this might predate the formation of "Chinatowns" another form of ethnic enclave. The funny thing is that when it is Jewish, Irish, Polish, Italian, African, etc., it is called a ghetto. But when asian it is a chinatown, or koreatown, or little tokyo or little bombay. And when hispanic, it is a barrio. Go figure.
                  A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

My wife watches those shows. I can't stand them either but that is only because they are boring.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Houses, and Homes, are two very different things. I've been to houses, that a friend was building, that took 16 weeks, with an average 10 person crew to frame (my house would fit in the garage). I've also been to houses, not much bigger then the ones the above people, tend to build for their kids (yet they don't learn, the kids have as much fun with the boxes their toys came in). Yet I've had people tell me how my grandmothers house (I own in 38 more payments), felt more like a home, then the things they spent 4x the money on. (and by all accounts, as the older folk passed, this neighborhood, became more of a Ghetto, with renters that don't care, drug houses, etc.) Although the neighborhood, is finally trying to come around, again.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• WLee
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

Originally posted by OpaDC
                        If you really want to know how we got into the mortgage mess, try watching some of the house buying shows on TV. My first place, property virgins, house hunters, etc. Seems like all the realtors try to max out the buyers pre approved loan amount. Some even go over a little with the "It's only a little more" line. And the poor first time buyers. Does anyone think to tell them to try and find out how much utilities will cost? Most are moving from small homes or apartments to good sized houses. They have no clue how much heating/cooling is going to cost them. And then there are the couples that live in 3 bedroom 1800 sq. ft. houses that are having their first child and need a bigger house for the growing family! And of course one MUST have granite counter tops, hardwood floors, bath for every occupant plus guests with full body showers, or you have moved into a ghetto house.
                        Maybe it's just me.
                        RE: Granite Countertops

No one tells them that those things are HIGH maintenance. They are supposed to be resealed annually, anything dripped on them needs to mopped up ASAP to prevent staining, etc.

And even if one wants the "look" of granite -- you can get that in formica as well -- I mean really what is the point?

And the sheer SIZE of some of those monstrosities (some of them seem more like museums or mausoleums than homes). I have an uncle who kept "upgrading" buying an ever bigger house every couple of years (as an "investment") -- he is divorced/remarried and has one adult child (married and in his own nearby home) -- yet he now lives in a McMansion with 7 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. My only comment to him on seeing it was that someday it will make a nice multi-family home for a large (extended) immigrant family -- as the only way I can see anyone being able to afford to heat the thing would be to have SEVERAL full-time wage-earners. (BTW, I do **NOT** mean that in a derogatory way, rather that immigrants [statistically] tend to have larger families and/or live multi-generation in one house -- a very SMART and FRUGAL way of doing things IMHO -- though being a typical American, I couldn't live that way myself).

Instead, for myself I'm a fan of the "Not So Big House" concept (love the points Susanka makes in those books especially the points about the homey-ness of nooks, crannies & side rooms).

Better a SMALL house (easier to clean/maintain, cheaper utilities & taxes, etc) than some monstrosity with a formal "banquet room" (which NEVER gets used) and a formal "living room" (which only gets used "briefly" if ever) -- I have friends with big homes and extra-large "great rooms" which they purportedly will use for entertaining; but they never seem to have anyone over (and when they DO have a big get-together or party, they rent a catered hall... go figure).

Comment

• alpha
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Originally posted by stormdog74
                          What I find amazing is that these first time buyers are still putting little to nothing down - I know these shows are taped, but many of them are 2009 airings, so it can be that long ago. Are banks still really giving 100% financing?!
                          Haven't you heard about the Bailout so the banks would have more money to lend?

Comment

• JeffG78
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                            • BT3100

The shows that really get me going are the ones where a realtor comes in and gives a new appraisal after the homeowner upgrades a room. "If I were to list this house right now, I'd put it on the market for $xxx,xxx!" What the heck does that have to do with ANYTHING? Just because the homeowner dumped $50k into a new kitchen and the scumbag TV realtor says their house is now worth $450,000 instead of $350,000 DOESN'T mean they just MADE a $50,000 profit!!!

Comment

• DaveS
                              • May 2003
                              • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by WLee
                              RE: Granite Countertops

No one tells them that those things are HIGH maintenance. They are supposed to be resealed annually, anything dripped on them needs to mopped up ASAP to prevent staining, etc.

And even if one wants the "look" of granite -- you can get that in formica as well -- I mean really what is the point?
                              I mean, really, you know they make vinyl flooring that looks just like tile, why bother putting in tile? And I saw some laminate flooring that looks a lot like hardwood - why bother with the hardwood? I mean, really, what's the point?

Natural materials in a home feel better to some people - personally, I think that a house with granite counters, real tile floors, real hardwood floors, just feels and looks better to me.

Is it more expensive? You bet. But worth it to me.

Not that I don't appreciate your point... but, I think you have been given some wrong information regarding granite counters.

The granite in my kitchen is nearly indestructible (in the uba tuba family).

It takes, oh, about 3 minutes to wipe sealer on it every 2-5 years, more often if you put rocket hot pots/pans on it often. I don't call that "HIGH maintenance". I do it every year during spring cleaning, just so I don't forget.

Anything dripped on them needs to be mopped up to prevent staining? Not true. I'd say unless you drip battery acid on it, if you have it properly sealed with a good sealer, you will be fine.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Working...