• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

A Dry Run For Ubuntu

I am running the Ubuntu Live CD on my laptop right now and posting this from Linux. Now that the crunch is over at work and my report is delivered I can convert this machine from XP. So far all is going well. I got the wireless connected with no more trouble than I have in Windows, I played around with watching some video to test the sound card and it is pretty easy to browse the network shares on the XP machine downstairs. Actually it is even easier than Windows to do iit.

I do have a question... there is a command to load a text-menu based utility that will manage the kernel modules. What is that command?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Relative
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • Garden Grove, CA
    • Ridgid R4512

Don't know the answer to your question since it's been a while since I fooled with Ubuntu - but I have a question for you. If you have a floppy, can you get to it?

Mike
    Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Nope, no floppy. At least not here, it is at the office.

I am playing with a webcam. I know the module is suppsed to be included in the kernel and want to try and load it.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Floppy access is not problem in Linux. In college, I did it a lot. There is a series of tools (mtools) that use MS-DOS like commands to access a floppy, even referring to it as A:. You can also mount a floppy and treat it like a small part of the file system.

David,

I dod remember ever using a menu based kernel module utility. I've always done it the hard way.

Unless you are talking about one to configure it for a recompile of the kernel. In which case, you go to the kernel source director and make menuconfig.

Jim

Comment

• dick541
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2004
          • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
          • BT3100

I have a question for all you that use Linux and Ubuntu, I have a CAD program that is a dos program that runs in Win95-98, But doesnot work in XP. Is there a way to get it work in Linux with Ubuntu? It is on 2 3-1/2 disds. Thanks
          dick

Comment

• sd
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2003

Maybe. WINE allows running some Windows applications on Linux. The Wine application database lists applications which have been tested under WINE. There is also DOSEMU, which allows some DOS applications to run under Linux.
            -- Steve

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jziegler
              Floppy access is not problem in Linux. In college, I did it a lot. There is a series of tools (mtools) that use MS-DOS like commands to access a floppy, even referring to it as A:. You can also mount a floppy and treat it like a small part of the file system.

David,

I dod remember ever using a menu based kernel module utility. I've always done it the hard way.

Unless you are talking about one to configure it for a recompile of the kernel. In which case, you go to the kernel source director and make menuconfig.

Jim
              It might be make menuconfig. Thanks.
              David

Comment

• Relative
                Established Member
                • Mar 2007
                • Garden Grove, CA
                • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by jziegler
                Jim
                What I was referring to is the problem that seems to exist in the last few kernel versions that no longer set up to use a floppy drive without a lot of convoluted file configuration mods. It's been around now for the last few releases of all versions of Linux best I can tell and I see bugreports indicating it still isn't really solved.

Old PostScript-1 printers seem to have been abandoned too.

Mike
                Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Well, I guess that just shows how well I've been following such things. The only floppy drive that I have anymore is a USB one, and it rarely gets used. My linux server in the basement hasn't had any removable media of any kind mounted in years now, so I didn't know about the problem. Good luck finding a solution.

Jim

Originally posted by Relative
                  What I was referring to is the problem that seems to exist in the last few kernel versions that no longer set up to use a floppy drive without a lot of convoluted file configuration mods. It's been around now for the last few releases of all versions of Linux best I can tell and I see bugreports indicating it still isn't really solved.

Mike

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Relative

Mike
                    I wouldn't know. The last machine I had to have a floppy is the Dell I have. I never used it though - I pulled the drive out because I needed a bay for a HDD.
                    David

Comment

Working...