• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Powercat80
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007
    • Austin, TX

Craigslist "visual" browser

A few weeks back someone posted this site, http://austin.clpic.com/, that allows you to search craigslist on only those ads that have pictures. Unfortunately I can't find the original post. It is/was a wonderful site that allowed you to skip allot of poor ads and only view those with pictures.

My site is now not working!
    . It now redirects me to a bogus ebay site. Is anyone else having this problem? I have run spyware and virus scan with no results. Thanks
    Last edited by Powercat80; 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM.
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

I'll second that annoyance. For unknown reasons it redirects you to a site that allows you to visually browse Ebay listings. (I don't see how this could scam anyone, but maybe I'm missing something.)

Seems like the old bait'n'switch to me...

I can already visually browse Ebay listings, I wanna be able to look at Craigslist visually. Too bad the original site isn't operating.
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

same thing happens to me today.

If you click on Help you see that many are upset that C list became E bay. Perhaps there will be both.

The thing is this looks like it's a programing exercise for someone and they will do as they wish, which is only right seeing as how I got to use the service free.

Bill

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

Yep, happened yesterday. Going back to the old way of browsing CL really sux.

Comment

• BerniePA
          Established Member
          • Nov 2007
          • San Tan Valley, AZ
          • Grizzly 0575

I found that in my browser, IE7 something or other, if I go to the site and immediately put my cursor on the STOP button, the red X next to the two arrows on my screen, and click rapidly and repeatedly, I can defeat it from going to the Ebay and once you have done that, you can use it as normal to your hearts content. Well, at least until you have to re-visit the site again, then you have to get your clickin' finger ready again!!!
          Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• BerniePA
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • San Tan Valley, AZ
            • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by BerniePA
            I found that in my browser, IE7 something or other, if I go to the site and immediately put my cursor on the STOP button, the red X next to the two arrows on my screen, and click rapidly and repeatedly, I can defeat it from going to the Ebay and once you have done that, you can use it as normal to your hearts content. Well, at least until you have to re-visit the site again, then you have to get your clickin' finger ready again!!!
            OK - once again, I shot my mouth off without checking TODAY'S facts!!! When the above was happening, it was flashing up on Craig's list and then going to Ebay all by itself and by hitting the stop I was able to stop it from going. After posting, I checked it and I see that now it doesn't even go anywhere near Craig's list apparently -- it seems to be a non-stop flight to ebay, and Capt. Sulley's NOT at the controls and we've been geesed and going down........
            Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

I suspect Craigslist blocked their access to the content. They've done it to other services as well.

Craigslist is kind of a paradox that way. They present this hippie "for the good of mankind" image. But as soon as someone figures out a way to tie-in a nifty feature, the Craigslist folks shut it off.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                • Aug 2007
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • BT-3000, 21829

Try ' www.byebyelist.com '.

Similar features, it's not yet been busted by CL.
                You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• DaveS
                  • May 2003
                  • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by cgallery
                  I suspect Craigslist blocked their access to the content. They've done it to other services as well.

Craigslist is kind of a paradox that way. They present this hippie "for the good of mankind" image. But as soon as someone figures out a way to tie-in a nifty feature, the Craigslist folks shut it off.
                  I wonder if it is a bandwidth issue.

When I stroll through their pages, I maybe hit a couple dozen if I am really looking, maybe 1MB of data, give or take.

These applications scrape many times that, since they will download all the ads, even the ones I am not interested in, even for the categories I am not viewing.

I don't know if this is true, I'm just saying this could be a reason such a service would be blocked.

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by DaveS
                    I wonder if it is a bandwidth issue.
                    Well, the clpic guys were hosting the photos on their own servers. So it would have actually (probably) saved Craigslist some bandwidth, or been bandwidth neutral.

Despite everything I've read about Craigslist, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one day and find a charge for posting ads.

Comment

Working...