• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

"Sent From My Blackberry"

Does anybody else find that pretentious and annoying? I average half a dozen emails a day and that is part of the signature on them. I really wish people would turn the stupid thing off.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

I think it's a self defense measure as nearly every email I get that says that is horribly misspelled.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I would bet that a lot of people that do have a BB don't know how to turn that off. I just set up 11 smart phones for the people in my company that "have to have them". These are the most computer illiterate people in the company, but they are the ones signing the checks. I have a feeling if they really did know what they can and can't do, they wouldn't have them.

The company I work for is FAR from needing attention 24x7, which is why I find it really funny. They wanted me to have one, and I told them I didn't need one. My current cell is turned off the minute I get home, unless I'm on call. I guess I'm just not that important, which is fine with me .
      Joe

Comment

• gary
        • May 2004
        • Versailles, KY, USA.

My company currently furnishes my blackberry as I'm in a support role. Some bean counter has the idea that we should be paying for our own blackberry and they'll give us a stipend to pay for a portion of it. So a good chunk of it will come out of my pocket (it'll be my BB and I'll hold the contract) for it.

It seem they also want to wipe it whenever they want since it'll contain some of their info.

It also looks like it may be taxable????

So I'm going to turn it back in when they implement this. They can "try" to find me when the system goes down. I'll also not have to give them those free work hours anymore.

Anybody else's company doing something similar?
        Gary

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I see it more like a disclaimer too; Explaining why the email is usually rather short. I don't find it annoying, nor pretentious. I added something similar for the times I do need to reply from my pocketpc.

Half page long signatures really annoy me.
          Erik

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by gary

Anybody else's company doing something similar?
            No, the opposite actually. The company I work for now, and the company I used to work for (before present co. took them over) both have strict policies that ALL company cell phones are to be company phones, on the company contract, period. No more expensing personal phones. This is done because all company communication is open to litigation, and if the comapny owns the phone and contract, there is no issue getting any and all records.
            Joe

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

That was one of the first things I turned off when I started carrying a Blackberry 4 years ago. I don't really find them obnoxious, I just believe most people are not even aware that they can turn them off, or change them.
              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

I felt uncomfortable with the "Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless" when I first got mine - but agree that it does serve as a disclaimer for when I'm responding "on the move" and the messages are short; so I truncated it to just "Blackberry Wireless" under my signature.
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Originally posted by crokett
                  Does anybody else find that pretentious and annoying? I average half a dozen emails a day and that is part of the signature on them. I really wish people would turn the stupid thing off.
                  That kind of stuff reminds me of back in the day when people would make sure to tell me they were calling from their car phone. Whoopee-too-dah.

I find that kind of thing pretentious, but most people probably don't know how to turn it off. I hardly ever read signatures, anyway.

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Simple message back,

Get off the cell phone and drive!
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

I have one. It's been used more for purposes having nothing to do with work than for work-related correspondence. The ability to pull up a map for any place in the world is kinda handy. It's my overseas travel phone - I can turn the service on and off whenever I want.

One of the first things I did was turn off the Sent from signature. I hate it.

Comment

• Rslaugh
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                        • Ridgid

Originally posted by b0330923
                        I felt uncomfortable with the "Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless" when I first got mine - but agree that it does serve as a disclaimer for when I'm responding "on the move" and the messages are short; so I truncated it to just "Blackberry Wireless" under my signature.
                        Same here except I have a Treo and changed mine to "Sent from my mobile". I'm not going to advertise anyone's product for free. Most of my customers appreciate that I got back to them PDQ, that they know I am aware of their issue and that it will be handled in a time frame appropriate to their need.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        Simple message back,

Get off the cell phone and drive!
                        Messaging while driving is illegal in a lot states. Just because a message came from a mobile doesn't mean the sender was driving or even in a vehicle.
                        Last edited by Rslaugh; 02-22-2009, 07:20 AM.
                        Rick
                        IG: @rslaugh_photography
                        A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                        And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                        ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

FWIW, I've also had trouble communicating in semi-real time with Blackberry users who find it difficult to read attachments. The disclaimer can help prevent that problem. I agree, though, that ignorance is probably the prime culprit.

JR
                          JR

Comment

• Kristofor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2004
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I've had a work blackberry for years, back when they had a 2-way pager look/feel.

I guess that the responses here seem to indicate that the folks who don't have one think that the "sent from my blackberry..." is some type of bragging or whatnot. I don't think that's really the case most of the time. For a number of users I'm sure they never even go into the blackberry desktop or device setup screens to change those options...

Personally I have the tag turned off. That said I have an auto-text "SFB" that I will occasionally use when I'm talking with someone outside of my department. This is generally done when something needs a quick response (can't wait until I'm back at the office/home/through security/etc.) and I need to give a partial or uncertain answer without the ability to check my files or other systems for specific data. By tacking that on it reinforces the "I'm trying to help but don't have access to my systems. I not blowing you off by not checking because I'm lazy"

On other occasions I'll use it for the less altruistic "I'm answering because I'm I nice guy, but it's a weekend/holiday/vacation day/sick day please let it go if it's not an emergency..."

Kristofor.

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Kristofor

Personally I have the tag turned off. That said I have an auto-text "SFB" that I will occasionally use when I'm talking with someone outside of my department. This is generally done when something needs a quick response (can't wait until I'm back at the office/home/through security/etc.) and I need to give a partial or uncertain answer without the ability to check my files or other systems for specific data.
                              Kristofor.
                              Well just send me an email telling me here's the answer I think but I need to check my files when I get back to the office. Or send me an email telling em you need to check your files back at the office. Either one of those is preferable to the sent from my blackberry autosig. At least that is my opinion.
                              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...