• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Thinking about grandfather clocks

I'm thinking it may be time to build one and try to sell it for premium money. I'd have to go talk to a couple of higher end furniture stores first to see if they are even interested. The cost of the movement and workings has me a bit less sure of this idea. Which of our members have built one and how much did they pay for the movements? Pictures would be nice. Links to your post here on BT3Central would be fine too.

Thanks,
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

This may or may not be helpful. I seem to remember NYW had an episode were Nahm made a grandfather clock.Maybe one of the members has the video or plan to give you the movement manufacturer.At least you would have a start.
    Sorry I couldnt help more.
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I've heard good things about Klockit. I've never ordered anything from them, nor have I ever built one. Been thinking about it though, until I see the prices on the higherend mechanical works.
      http://www.klockit.com/

I just put the face back on a wall hung, mechanical, coil gong clock my MIL gave to me about half an hour ago. It just needed a little cleaning and lubrication. I did the same and repaired a busted up cabinet on one my wife procured for my birthday a few years ago. I've been wanting to do a big one since.
      Erik

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

I think that what Norm made was with a quartz movement. Some folks accept that in a GF clock. Klockit has a lot of movements to choose from. I think I would make the wooden carcass and let the customer choose the movement.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Personally, I hate those electric quartz movements. Especially if it has a fake pendulum or some cheesy electronic chime. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Might as well just slap a LED digital face on it and call it a day.

I think clocks like that should be wound by hand, and the pendulum adjustable so you can keep messing with it until it is just right.
          Erik

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

With all this talk about grandfather clocks I would like to share this with you.
            My wife's great grandfather retired from the Maine RR in 1913 after 40 years of service. His retirement gift was a grandfather clock which now stands proudly in our living room.
            The clock is 8' 4" tall with a 7 day movement and still keeps perfect time. The finish is original and beautiful I am guessing that the wood is walnut.
            Attached Files
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• master53yoda
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Spokane Washington
              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

My neighbor has built two of these in the last 5 years and they are beautiful and work very well he sold one for 2800.00. He said that the parts came very high quality and he had no problem parts in either kit. I don't know if this I what you are thinking about or a complete self done clock but the clock works. I have been contemplating doing one by kit when my finishing skill level gets high enough, I cut things out and mill good enough but I'm always disappointed in the final finish when I'm done.

http://www.klockit.com/products/dept...ather_Kit.html
              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

I found S. LaRose to be cheaper than Klockit for movements. BUT I just looked them up to post a link and they are now Klockit?
                Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

A grandfather clock as I have mentioned a few times here is my dream project. I would not make a profit on one as I would have to make probably 4 before I ever got a chance to sell one. I hope it works for you.

Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Rich P
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

30 years ago I built an Emperor kit. Turns out in some of the kits back then the movements were weak and it now appears all need to be cleaned and lubricated every few years, at least that's what I've been told. I did find a modern replacement movement for my clock at http://www.clockworks.com/. You can pretty much build up your own works from movement to dial, to hands and pendulum.
                    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

You might want to see if a furniture store will buy it outright and re-sell for a profit rather than having you sitting back waiting for a sale. Remember, the economy isn't exactly brisk for sale of custom furnishings. Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade - just a thought.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

Working...