• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjwaldren
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Fresno, CA

Bi-Lateral Carpal Tunnel Release...Ouch

I broke my left hand over the summer and when I was still having problems after it healed had it looked at by an orthopedist. He said the break was fine but it had magnified the real problem. Turns out I've had a rather severe case of carpal tunnel in both hands since about 2002 (I remember when it started). I was originally only going to have the left fixed as it gives me the most trouble but started paying better attention to the right and decided to do them both.

Today, was the day. The surgery center had me come in early because they were ahead of schedule and literally ran me through pre-op because every body was already in place waiting. It was my first time in a real operating room so that was pretty cool, I wish I remembered beyond the doctor saying "we're ready". Overall a great experience at a medical facility.

I know several here have had this surgery, how was your recovery? I've heard a wide range of experiences. The Dr. say's do exactly what I would normally do right away. He'll remove the wraps on friday. How long before I can turn a door knob or button my pants without feeling like my wrist is coming apart? It's not really painful but definitely keeping me cautious.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I had both wrists done, but should have done it 10 years earlier. It got to the point that the pain would go up my arm, wake me up many times during the night.

So, knowing that both hands would be out of commission for a while, and being a "rightie", I practiced being a "leftie" for a few weeks before the surgery.

Surgery was a breeze and about 3-4 weeks apart. I could use my hands when the bandages came off. About a week I think. My recovery was a bit longer than most as I also have nerve and muscle damage. I got "tutored" with some finger exercises to help improve recovery. I was advised that my surgery may not "cure" the problem but may likely prevent it from getting worse. I don't have the pain anymore, but have severe tendonitis in my fingers. If it gets much worse, I'll have to see if there is a fix. Fortunately it's not RA.

Comment

• bruce hylton
      Established Member
      • Dec 2008
      • winlock, wa
      • Dewalt today

Seemed like 6 months before I could go to the bathroom by myself.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Well, it seems that your ability to type still exists, so you may be well on your way to recovery already. Just don 't overdo it, and listen to the Doc.

Comment

• rjwaldren
          Established Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Fresno, CA

Yeah, I can hunt and peck on the keyboard, slowly. Clicking the mouse button gets a little tricky. Pains really kicked up this morning, but it's okay as long as I keep them elevated. Of course the wife stayed home to look after the 8mo old. Thankfully she's been available to open doors and prescription bottles for me.

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

A timely post. Just got home with the wife after she had her right hand done this morning. She has suffered with it for 8-9 years. As soon as she is healed up she's gonna get the left one done. So far the pain meds are hangin in there for her. Hope she doesn't have too much pain before its back to better than normal.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• rjwaldren
              Established Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Fresno, CA

Good luck to her. The darvocet is working wonders for me, and keep it elevated.

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I am looking at have the same surgery and I also have a Rotator Cup problem that might require surgery also. Hope you all have a speeding recovery and keeps us posted.

Tom

Comment

• dick541
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
                  • BT3100

Haven't bin around much lately but I had BOTH hands done at the same time,day. 2 hours later I was at Pizze hut and had a ham samwich. Hands felt better allready.
                  dick

Comment

• rjwaldren
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Fresno, CA

Well, on day 3 I can definitely say it moves quickly. By day 2 the wraps came off and the doctor said do whatever you want. He suggested waiting another week for the Tablesaw but wants me to get out the and use my hands. Some things are tricky, turning ON the shower is easy, but turning the knob off is a two handed full-body exercise. The doctor says things that hurt to do won't hurt my wrist, even if I pull a stitch and the wound doesn't open, don't worry about it.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Hope your recovery is going OK. If you're in relatively good health, the recovery can be a very short period. Like you said, you'll find some tasks more difficult than others, just don't go crazy. I'd wait a bit before turning on the saw. You don't want to get too used to those operating rooms.

Comment

• RyFitz13
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Terryville, CT, USA.
                        • BT3100

I'm going to revive this thread, because I just yesterday was diagnosed with carpal tunnel.

Thinking back over the past 3 or 4 years, I've had occasional tingling/numbness in the fingers, and woke up with hand numbness once in a while. But apparently some of the renovation work I've done this month has really aggravated it, to the point I finally went to see the doc yesterday. I go in for the EMG today to see how severe a case I do or do not have.

So - for the folks who had to go the surgical route, what kinds of options did you and your doc's pursue prior to surgery? How successful, or not, were they? Mostly due to my mother's bad experiences when I was a kid, I'm frankly scared to death of letting a surgeon at my hands. I work in computers, play guitar, enjoy woodworking, and do lots of other activities that involve pretty intricate work with my hands - I don't want to risk losing any capacity if I don't have to.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by RyFitz13
                          I'm going to revive this thread, because I just yesterday was diagnosed with carpal tunnel.

I go in for the EMG today to see how severe a case I do or do not have.

So - for the folks who had to go the surgical route, what kinds of options did you and your doc's pursue prior to surgery? How successful, or not, were they?

If you catch it early, the surgery is an in-and-out, outpatient procedure, and no big deal at all. Very high success rate. I suggest you don't wait. The electrodiagnostic tests will determine the impairment. After you get that test, report on it, as I don't want to spoil the fun for you.

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            The electrodiagnostic tests will determine the impairment. After you get that test, report on it, as I don't want to spoil the fun for you.
                            I had that done several years ago. It didn't seem to be a big deal to me. The shocks were over so quickly, it's not something I wouldn't do again in a heartbeat.

Ed
                            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Ed62
                              The Full Monte
                              • Oct 2006
                              • NW Indiana
                              • BT3K

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome several years ago. At that time I was doing a lot of work with a hammer, which aggravated it. Before diagnosis, I would wake up at night in so much pain, I would come close to crying. I'd get up, and sit in a chair the rest of the night, getting a few winks every so often.

When the diagnosis was made, the doc told me to try wearing the wrist/hand braces at night. They did a great job for me. Lately it seems to be getting a little worse, and I'm considering the surgery. This thread has come at a very good time.

Ed
                              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...