• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

The Nut in the Cellar calls it quits.

Hi All: Just a quickie note to tell everyone that after 15 years as the Ryobi Tool Forum moderator, I handed in my "resignation" this morning. Nothing was wrong, but I have just been too busy to properly support the effort there and I felt it was time for me to move on. I didn't feel I could devote the extra time required to support the web site. Someone will replace me and I will still be the moderator for a while until things get sorted out. I'm still working wood and my original BT3K still runs like new. Take Care all.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • jcjrsmith
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

15 years? Wow, that's a long time. They are going to be hard pressed to find a worthy replacement.
    Jerry in PA
    ...Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
    http://home.comcast.net/~jcjrsmith2

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Hi Jim,

You probably don't remember me, but I was a member of the Ryobi forum, years ago. I know they had a lot of problems keeping the forum available for members, and I didn't even know it was still going on.

Hopefully we'll be seeing more of you around here? We can always use the quality input you would bring.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Wow Jim, enjoy your retirement! It was a post you made on the forum for Wood magazine that introduced me to the Ryobi forum what seems like many years ago. That started me down the path that brought me to where I am now. It's been a ride for sure.

I doubt whomever they find to fill the vacancy will be as good at it as you have been!
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• BearPipes-1
          Established Member
          • May 2006
          • Silicon Valley, CA
          • Ryobi BT3100

Add mine to the acclaim you're getting for a job very impressively well done.
          Don't just say no to kickback.

Comment

• mclear6
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Northern NJ

I think that Jim directed me toward BT3 Central as well. Thanks for all of the work you did over at the Ryobi Forum.

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Congrats and thanks for all your work, Jim! I don't even remember how I found the Ryobi Forum after I got my BT3k back in 2000, but what a find it was! Worth as much as the tool itself, and that was when they were going for ~$450 or something(?).

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

My Old BT3K

Originally posted by Tom Miller
                Congrats and thanks for all your work, Jim! I don't even remember how I found the Ryobi Forum after I got my BT3k back in 2000, but what a find it was! Worth as much as the tool itself, and that was when they were going for ~$450 or something(?).

Regards,
                Tom
                I bought mine in Feb. 1993. List price was $590. I used a Home Base credit card for the purchase and got 10% off. I still have a brand new early production BT3100 sitting outside my shop door. Some day I will wear the old BT3K out and have to put the new one to work.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks Jim for all your hard work. You probably don't remember me but back in 1999 when I was thinking about buying a BT, I started checking the Ryobi site and your posts were the main factor that convinced me that this was a good saw and even better group of owners.

Thanks again
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Talk about a blast from the past! I haven't been to the Ryobi forum in a couple of years. Hang around here, Jim.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• Sam Conder
                      Woodworker Once More
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Midway, KY
                      • Delta 36-725T2

Godspeed sir!

Inasmuch as Jim is responsible for the success of the Ryobi Forums, he is also VERY MUCH responsible for the success of BT3Central. I too was a moderator on the Ryobi Forums at one time and I learned how to moderate a forum from Jim. Additionally, he provided many of the original jig ideas and articles that were used to formulate what has evolved into BT3Central.com. A brief perusal of the original "articles" content will show the amount of work Jim poured into making the BT3X series table saw what it has become...

http://www.bt3central.com/articles/articles.asp

Now Jim... get back in the cellar and use that saw!
                      Sam Conder
                      BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry to see you are leaving there Jim. You steered me to this site as well and now I am a moderator here. I also remember some of the problems keeping that site available and I hope Ryobi got those resolved.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...