• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Buying an LCD monitor

I have a Dell 17" LCD, now want to use it with my laptop and replace it (for the desktop) with something larger. I need something with a 4:3 aspect ratio, so most of the latest 'widescreen' won't work for me.

Also, would like a USB hub on the monitor for the various Camera and other devices.

This really narrows down the field; after some search, looks like I come back to Dell : their 2007FP looks to be best of the lot with decently cheap prices ($329 currently at Dell). Some like NEC are exhorbitant.

This Dell has a max resolution of 1600 x 1200.

Any opinions on this or in general LCD monitors?

Also, anybody use the Dell Sound Bar that attaches beneath the monitor? How good is it - good enough for YouTube or for watching 24? Or is it too weak?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

What are you using the monitor for? There are several types of LCD screens, and different ones fit different tasks better.

Here's a good guide:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

I have a 20" non-widescreen, and I love teh 1600x1200 resolution. I got a great deal on an NEC (high end model too) refurbished. It is no longer available from the same vendor, but refurbished deals show up from time to time. Better monitor for less money. I was also looking at this HP for a while:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824176053

It's $410, so a bit more than the dell, but might be better for some uses.

Jim

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

One thing to remember about LCD panels: You always want to run them at their rated resolution (ie 1600x1200, etc.) Unlike CRT monitors, LCDs set for something other than their rated rez will give you a poor picture and can lead to screaming eye strain. DAHIKT
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

I have a 19" Dell LCD with the soundbar at work. I like it a lot, the soundbar doesn't clutter things up like a set of separate speakers. I work an avg. of 60 hrs./wk. and at times, I listen to quite a bit of music - I'm very happy with it.

The soundbar works well as a basic PC speaker unit, but if you're a hard-core audiophile and like things really loud with a lot of bass, you'll probably want something else. I tend to listen to music at a moderate volume and the soundbar more than meets my needs. I rarely have the volume dial past ~30%.

I believe that you can find a soundbar on ebay for much less than Dell's price.

Good luck.
        Bill

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Have you looked at the 2009W? Just got one for work, around $150 on sale, works great, looks good, and has the USB ports.

Alternatively, for home I just bought a AOC 2217V from Staples for a net of $75. Takes some "hoop jumping" to get there, but can't beat it for the price.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's a great link Jim - clears up a lot of tech doubts. The NEC looks good, if I can snag a cheap one; it does not have USB points though, does it?

Tell me about the native resolution, Bob. I did not know of it when I bought my earlier one, and spent a long time trying to 'tune' it . But one question to all of you with 1600x1200. Does this resolution make the fonts look much smaller than the 19" with 1280x1026? I have this latter at work and like it, but a smaller font may not suit LOML.

The usage is going to be generic home use for LOML and kids. No gaming, very little graphic work. Pictures, Word/Excel, internet.

Bill, the most I need out of the sound bar is for my kids to be able to hear their animations or other toddler type of games. Not too loud might even be good ! I won't miss the clutter either!

That 2009W is real cheap; might revisit it if I am ready to try a widescreen.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• jziegler
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Salem, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

No, most of the NEC ones don't have the USB hub. Mine doesn't, but I was looking for a photo editing monitor, so the type of panel was the top priority.

I haven't used a 19" widescreen, so I don't know about the font size. But remember that you can change the font size in the Windows control panel. In the Display properties dailog, setting tab, if you click on advanced, another dialog pops up where you can set the DPI of the display. Changing that will changed the font size. The icons all stay the same (at least on XP and earlier) so things will look a bit different.

Jim

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
                This really narrows down the field; after some search, looks like I come back to Dell : their 2007FP looks to be best of the lot with decently cheap prices ($329 currently at Dell). Some like NEC are exhorbitant.

Any opinions on this or in general LCD monitors?
                I'm looking at one of these right now. (It's my center monitor -- the one where I do most of my work.)

No complaints. It reproduces colors better and seems clearer than my older Dell monitors, which flank it. Yellow, for example, isn't as muddy on this one as it is on the others.
                Last edited by Alex Franke; 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM.
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• RayintheUK
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I use the NEC MultiSync 90GX2 Pro Opticlear LCD.

It has four USB2 ports (2 round the back and two on the left-hand side).

According to this link, it's $329 in Target.

Ray.
                  Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Tell me about the native resolution, Bob. I did not know of it when I bought my earlier one, and spent a long time trying to 'tune' it . But one question to all of you with 1600x1200. Does this resolution make the fonts look much smaller than the 19" with 1280x1026? I have this latter at work and like it, but a smaller font may not suit LOML.

<snip>

That 2009W is real cheap; might revisit it if I am ready to try a widescreen.
                    The resolution difference is moderate not huge, and you're gaining an inch of screen size which offsets the shrinking font effect by a couple percent. My friends under 40 or who don't wear glasses seem fine with 1600x1200 on a 20ish inch monitor. On the flip side there are people at work who have "fine vision, I don't need glasses" who are running 20" panels at 800x600 (would you like a braille keyboard sir?).

Personally, I've decided to become a multi-display evangelist. Two is good, three is better. Biggest usability enhancement since the GUI (though I'm still a CLI guy at heart). Not quite as big of an improvement at home as in an office, but still a mandtory feature for any future system for me. I run dualie 22" 1650x1080's at home. I would prefer dualie 1600x1200's but the cost difference was significant enough that I make due.

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks all! Not easy trying to visualize it! Pity the Dell kiosks are all closed now - would have been great to take a look.

Ray, I'll take a look at that NEC too, thanks.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• germdoc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Omaha, NE
                        • BT3000--the gray ghost

There are quite a lot of Dell monitors at BestBuy. Not sure if they have the model you're interested in. Also quite a lot of sales, including my favorite "the display model--as is".

I just got a Dell 19" WS (S1909WX) for $159, minus $100 gift certificate. So far I've been quite impressed with it. It doesn't have USB and may not fit your needs as far as graphics work, but it was among the cheapest widescreens I found. Now I just need to upgrade my speakers....
                        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

Take a look at Slickdeal.net and check for prices there

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Hmm, didn't think of BestBuy; shall check it out for the experience.

Anybody have any idea why the widescreen variety is much cheaper than the 4:3 aspect monitors? I even see 24" widescreens for sub-300!
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• jziegler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Salem, NJ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Hmm, didn't think of BestBuy; shall check it out for the experience.

Anybody have any idea why the widescreen variety is much cheaper than the 4:3 aspect monitors? I even see 24" widescreens for sub-300!
                              Three reasons that I can think of. They are making more of them (seems everything has to be widescreen these days), and they are all made from the cheapest panel type, TN. Also, total resolution on them tends to be lower than non-widescreen versions.

Jim

Comment

Working...