• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

I miss In-n-Out Burger :(

I also miss Father's Office in Santa Monica... I'm actually considering burning a lot of hours and a bunch of frequent flier miles for a couple good burgers. Is that crazy, or what?!? Those of you that live in SoCal will understand...

Anyone know of a really good burger joint in North Carolina? Or how about anywhere on the trail from North Carolina to Ohio or Atlanta? (We're planning some car trips there.)

Living with a vegetarian has its drawbacks... :lol:
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Fat Daddy's is in Raleigh. It is on 70 a few minutes east of Crabtree Mall.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jgrobler
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Salinas, CA, USA.
      • TS3650

You had me worried for a moment - as in: did they succumb to the economy...

I've got an In-n-Out just a couple of miles from here. And yes, I don't eat Big Macs, Whoppers, Wendy's, Carl's, or whatever elses.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

You only have fond memories because you can't have it. It's like me lamenting about dunkin' donuts, they aren't anything special but your memories make you think they are.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Two Words

White Castle

One time on a business trip to Minneapolis, I took a cab to White Castle. The cab ride down and back cost more than dinner but it was worth it!
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
            . . . they aren't anything special but your memories make you think they are.
            LOL. Thanks for the reminder!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bluzcat
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2003
              • Gosport, IN, USA.
              • BT-3100 & Jet Cabinet Saw

I'll have a DoubleDouble and some animal-style fries!

Being in Indiana for over 2 years now, I really miss In-n-Out Burger. When I try to explain it to people here, I realize, it is just a basic burger; meat, bun, tomato, lettuce, onion, and special sauce. I went out to visit my mom last Feb. and I ate at In-n-Out at least 3 three times. My wife insisted that I bring back a couple of burgers for her. Unfortunately, my fight was on a Sat morning (they don't open til 10:30), so I had to buy them the night before. I tried to order them without lettuce and tomato cause I know the burgers would have to travel from LA to Indy, plus by the time I got home, it would be after midnight, so they wouldn't eaten until the next day. Anyway, I was talking to the guy, explaining way I was ordering them that way, and he suggests odred them with everything on the side! All the ingredients were packed in their own little space. It was great. Plus, he gave me 2 In-n-Out T-shirts and big stack of stickers! Amazing customer service.
              \"He who dies with the most clamps, WINS!\"

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by shoottx
                Two Words

White Castle

One time on a business trip to Minneapolis, I took a cab to White Castle. The cab ride down and back cost more than dinner but it was worth it!
                Nuthin' like a breakfast of sliders the morning after.

Or so I'm told...
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Alex,

For a good burger, have you ever been to a Red Robin? I've never had In-n-out (never been to so cal), but I really like some of the Red Robin burgers. I think I like the whiskey river BBQ burger best. They have a couple NC locations. http://www.redrobin.com/redrobin/home.aspx

Jim

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

If you ever come to the Golden Horseshoe here in S. Ontario, you have to find a Lick's Burgers. Just be careful when you tell them to shoot the works when topping your burger. Last time my burger was close to five inches high! I kid you not. The patty was around an inch thick after cooking!
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Bigbit
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Southern California
                      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      You only have fond memories because you can't have it. It's like me lamenting about dunkin' donuts, they aren't anything special but your memories make you think they are.
                      Agreed. It's been 9 years since we've moved to the left coast and we still miss DD's, yet when I go home, I find their donuts and muffins aren't that red hot anymore. I did miss the iced coffee until Mickey-D's introduced theirs here.

But there are other things like the seafood, roast beef sandwiches, New England-style hot dog rolls and Devil Dogs that we still miss. Every visit home includes visits to places to acquire some of our missed favorites.

But they do know how to cook burgers here in CA!

Comment

• JeffG78
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                        Anyone know of a really good burger joint in North Carolina? Or how about anywhere on the trail from North Carolina to Ohio or Atlanta? (We're planning some car trips there.)
                        If you are ever in NE Ohio, there is a burger place called Swenson's that's the best I've had anywhere in the country. They have about six locations now around the Akron area. It is a simple drive-in with no inside eating. They come to your car and take your order. I always order two double hamburgers, fries and a shake. I wish I was there right now

In Atlanta, you could always go downtown to the Varsity for a terrible, greasy burger.

Comment

• goslin23
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Richmond, TX
                          • Rigid TS3650

I'm sitting in the Double Tree in Santa Monica as I type this. The 1st thing I had for lunch when I arrived was In-N-Out. It was as tasty as I remember. I will miss it when I get back to Houston tonight. Maybe I can swing by one more time before heading to LAX.

-=gos=-
                          If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• catta12
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Reno, NV
                            • BTS20R

Originally posted by bluzcat
                            Anyway, I was talking to the guy, explaining way I was ordering them that way, and he suggests odred them with everything on the side! All the ingredients were packed in their own little space. It was great. Plus, he gave me 2 In-n-Out T-shirts and big stack of stickers! Amazing customer service.
                            My wife has brought me In-n-out burgers this way before. I think it is kind of a common thing for them to do. What is great about In-n-Out is as much about the simple setup with very few options. They do what they do and they do it well.
                            If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• Alex Franke
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Chapel Hill, NC
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by goslin23
                              I'm sitting in the Double Tree in Santa Monica as I type this.
                              If you haven't tried Father's Office right there in Santa Monica, you really need to -- they have the best pub burgers on the planet! Maybe you can fit both in!
                              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...