• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Digital TV Transition Delayed

IMO, the folks who weren't gonna be ready by February won't be ready by June.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • just started
    • Mar 2008
    • suburban Philly

Well, it's only been scheduled for about 15 YEARS, why should people be ready now?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Truthfully, I am not ready, I still have a tv.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

I'm all set. $18 at radio shack with the gov coupon. Send the signal to my computers tv card. Looks good.

Typical of government they just can't get the deal done if they think it will piss people off or cause any amount of confusion.

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

I have been trying to get my dad ready. There were just no converter boxes to be found for quite awhile here. I finally got two at Target for the coupon plus $19 each. He has direct tv, but local channels are not available here on direct tv - a fact they failed to mention when they were wanting everyone to ask congress for that passage. There was a long wait after the coupon was requested before it was mailed. I tried to hold out ordering the coupons until I found the boxes in the store, but with the end date coming up, I ordered them and got them in December. If it wasn't for the 3 month expiration date on the coupons I would have ordered them sooner.

On the scan, two local channels did not show up - the ABC and NBC stations, but a low power college station we never could get came through. I hope I don't have to install an antenna for him, he can't afford it. He is 88 and on a low fixed income. He won't let me buy him hardly anything. I was happy for the delay if it passes, to at least get it to warmer weather so I can work on an antenna if needed.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by billwmeyer

I hope I don't have to install an antenna for him, he can't afford it. He is 88 and on a low fixed income. He won't let me buy him hardly anything. I was happy for the delay if it passes, to at least get it to warmer weather so I can work on an antenna if needed.

Bill
            Make him a coat hanger antenna. Cost less than 5 bucks. See this previous thread with links.

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

Antenna

Thanks! I forgot about that completely. It would also match his decor!

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• jking
                • May 2003
                • Des Moines, IA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                Make him a coat hanger antenna. Cost less than 5 bucks. See this previous thread with links.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=43121
                Check to see whether the stations are going to broadcast in UHF or VHF. IIRC the coat hanger antenna only works for UHF signals.

Comment

• pecker
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2003

The articles I have read on this matter don't indicate if the broadcasters are now required to operate two transmitters for another 6 months. That's a lot of electrical power that I'm sure they weren't planning to have to pay for.

Comment

• JeffG78
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                    • BT3100

I agree with crockett, those who aren't ready by now will still not be ready in June. The Gubment acts like it was kept a big secret and took people by surprise.

On the other hand, my dad wasn't ready. He lives on a large, wooded lot that isn't good for a dish and his only cable company choice is Time Warner which he doesn't want due to their high cost and poor service, so he has kept using rabbit ears. Last summer, he ordered two coupons and when they arrived, he layed them aside figuring he was good to go. Several months later, he looked at the coupons only to find that they were expired. He never even thought to look for an expiration date since it was nine months prior to the transition date. Apparently, the coupons were only good for a month or two rather than expiring on a given date sometime after Feb 17th. Since he had already ordered his two coupons, he wasn't allowed to get more

At that point, he saw no hurry in buying boxes and figured he'd wait until they go on sale after the transition date.

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by pecker
                      The articles I have read on this matter don't indicate if the broadcasters are now required to operate two transmitters for another 6 months. That's a lot of electrical power that I'm sure they weren't planning to have to pay for.
                      I think that was one of the sticking points the first time Congress tried to pass the delay. There are a lot of TV stations that have spent huge $ & time in getting ready for the switchover. I believe they added language to allow stations to stick to the original date if they choose. I know at least two of the stations here are still planning to switch on Feb 17.

Comment

• Kristofor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

The new rule allows but doesn't force the broadcasters to wait.

In the Twin Cities all of the major stations have been going dual analog/digital for over a year. It sounds like at least one will be dropping the analog signal before June.

Outstate (you know where those elderly and rural people this delay was hyped as protecting live) it looks like a large chunk of the stations have converted already or still plan to in February. Rochester and Duluth both have at least 3 of the 4 major networks committed to turning off their analog signal this month. I've seen a number of PSAs on PBS that their transmitters in outstate locations (maybe Bemedji or Brainerd?) will be off entirely for a couple days while they switch over the equipment.

Delaying the forced cut over with 2 weeks to go on YEARs of notice was a kindergarten approach to the problem. My high school teachers, profs, managers, utility companies, and mortgage holder would never take that type of approach to a deadline. If stations want to continue dual broadcast I have no beef with them, but I'm fully supportive on ones that want to pull the plug on analog as well...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

Actually this just took the government out of the blame loop. Locally most of the stations will stop the analog signal on the 17th. If your not ready then it's the station's fault and not the Feds. But, it may just make some retailers put the boxes on sale, I am waiting... Just need the box for when cable is down.

Bill

Comment

• herb fellows
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • New York City
                            • bt3100

It is mostly the Gov's fault, from what I understand.
                            First, the product wasn't available and the Gov was handing out coupons.
                            Then the products were ready, but the coupons people had expired.
                            Then the government ran out of coupons so people couldn't get them and they were telling people who had expired ones T.S.

Please let someone more competent than this is handling the bailout! Kinda scares the bej.... out of ya, doesn't it?!
                            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• jaybee
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • Regina, SK, Canada
                              • BT3100-1

What they are not telling you, is that many people who are on the edge of an analog broadcast area, cannot get a digital signal unless the station increases power or they get a better and higher antenna - and - in some cases, both.

Because TV was designated an essential service - your gummint has to find a way out of being sued for not providing an essential service.

Check out Hawaii - which has already gone digital. Lots of communities have lost TV reception where they had decent reception with analog.

I only hope our gummint and related agencies are paying attention!!

Comment

Working...