• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Definition of Insanity?

I helped my FIL install Firefox on his laptop tonight. I use LogMeIn for remote access to his PC so I can take control if needed. Tonight I used it to just see his screen and let him drive. We were talking on the phone and I kept pointing at his screen on my PC monitor to show him stuff even though he is 600 miles away.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

LOL! Ain't that the truth.

When my kids were younger and I'd talk to them on the phone I'd ask "did you have fun at school today?" but they wouldn't answer.

I'd ask, "are you going to help mom with dinner?" but I'd get silence.

I never understood why until my wife told me that whenever I asked a yes/no question, they'd either nod or shake their heads.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

That used to be called "absentee management".

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

David,

That is what verbal skills are for! And for some reason, I don't see you lacking in that department.

Over here, when saying good bye on the phone, it is quite common to drag the good byes out for about 30 to 60 seconds verbally while of bowing the whole time.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• pierhogunn
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

that's okay, I used to do tech support for a small company, with people spread across the continent... One gal in particular, very smart, but very limited by her cellular "Altell" wireless internet connection, you would move your mouse to click an icon, and wait 2 minutes for a refresh on the screen, maddening
          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
            David,

That is what verbal skills are for! And for some reason, I don't see you lacking in that department.
            Thanks, I think. Actually I'd tell him where to click, then when he was slow doing it would point. What I should have done was get the web cam going, then he could see me pointing.

They will be here for a couple weeks in March. I think I am going to run them through a remedial computer school of sorts.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Not insane unless you kept doing it over and over again expecting him to see what you were pointing at.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I used remote access on my computer a few years ago, when my son-in-law figured out a problem I was having. It's pretty weird having someone else control your computer while you're watching.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jussi
                  Not insane unless you kept doing it over and over again expecting him to see what you were pointing at.
                  That is exactly what I was doing.
                  David

Comment

Working...