• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

For you old geezers like me

Just wondering if you ever traded comic books when you were a kid? That's how we spent most of our weekends during bad weather. We'd go to a friend's house, or they would come to ours, and we'd read and trade comic books all day long.

If the weather was good, we'd go fishing, play baseball, shoot marbles, play games, or just take a walk in the woods. It seems like we were never inside if the weather was good.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

Not many other kids in the area I grew up in. I didn't get that many comic books either, but when I did and had all the stories read I remember poring over the adds on the back and inside covers. The x-ray glasses, sea monkeys, that guy with the ant farms and so many I forget.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

We played outside a lot too. Football, baseball, bike riding (and jumping). We also messed around with model rockets and more than once taped an engine to one of our toy cars and sent it off down the driveway.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I had a (gold with ruby eyes), Phantom ring
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

I was a huge Superman Comic fan. I also like the Justice League and some Batman and the Flash. I never traded Comic books, I kept them all. I am hoping that in some corner of my dad's attic, all of those old books are stashed. They should be worth something if they are in good enough condition. They were from the late fifties and early 60's. I remember being upset when they went from $.10 to $.12.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Darryl and crokett sum up much of my youth
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Mostly spent outside or with my nose in a book. TV was still a novelty.

Even today, I rarely turn on the tube other than to watch the news.

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                I was a huge Superman Comic fan. I also like the Justice League and some Batman and the Flash. I never traded Comic books, I kept them all. I am hoping that in some corner of my dad's attic, all of those old books are stashed. They should be worth something if they are in good enough condition. They were from the late fifties and early 60's. I remember being upset when they went from $.10 to $.12.

Bill
                Exactly my thoughts, Bill! 12 cents seemed outrageous at the time. I also live in dread of what I used to own that has been sold at Sotheby's for prices that would buy me a nice house and a car to boot!
                On a similar note, I read somewhere today that Groucho Marx once said 'I find tv very educational. When someone turns it on, I go into the other room and read a book'.
                Last edited by herb fellows; 01-25-2009, 12:17 AM. Reason: additions
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• steve-u
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Bartlett, Ill.
                  • Ryobi BT 3100

I did some comic books but a lot of baseball card trading. We rarely watched TV other than baseball games. Spent a lot of time playing board games like Monopoly, Life, Sorry, and Risk. Also cards - Hearts, Crazy 8, Canasta, and Pinochle.

In winter did a lot of sledding and hiking through the woods. When weather was good played a ton of baseball as long as we had at least 3 guys. Lots of times we would play and not keep score - we just loved to play baseball. Often we shared baseball gloves because not everyone had one. You know back then there was no such thing as charge cards - you or your parents had to save enough to buy whatever the priority was. I started mowing lawns [no rider mower] when I was about ten for my cash for 50 cents to a dollar per lawn. Now a days I never see a kid mowing a lawn. We bought just about everything at Sears which was the only game in town back then for general merchandise/sports/tools. Baseball bats were made of wood!

I lived in a small town west of Chicago that at the time had about 400 population with one elementary school and one class for each grade. Everyone pretty much new everyone and so did the few friendly cops. In the summer we would leave the house early and come home for dinner [no cell phones then either].

Steve

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                    I am hoping that in some corner of my dad's attic, all of those old books are stashed.
                    One of my old neighbors had hundreds of old comics from the 40s or 50s, that he kept in an outside shed. He went to get them one day, and found that the mice had chewed up every one of them.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

I was a millionare until my mother threw out my comics and baseball cards...

Seriously, a good friend of mine had a ton of comics. His father owned a drugstore and would bring home all the out-of-date comics. Used to spend a lot of time at his place.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • The Great Land - Alaska
                        • BT3100-1

Thanks for the memories . . . . . .

. . . . Steve

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Redford MI.
                          • Craftsman 21829

Depends on whether or not you can call MAD magazine a comic book.
                          I was more interested in baseball card trading. Then I turned the age where
                          other more curvaceous things got much more interesting.

Comment

Working...