Synchronzing Folders

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Synchronzing Folders

    The Linux box at work is set up and I have been using it for the last week. I am planning to finally push the data over from XP tomorrow. After I do this I need an app that will run on the laptop and keep the data folders in synch (I have a local drive letter on the laptop mapped to a network share on the Linux machine. I think there was a thread on this a while back that mentioned some good apps but can't find it. Anyhoo, ideally I can schedule it, it will only do an incremental synch after the intial data copy and it has to run on Windows. Oh yeah, free is good too. The Windows briefcase isn't going to get this done for me.
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Bigbit
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 102
    • Southern California
    • BT3100-1

    #2
    Originally posted by crokett
    The Linux box at work is set up and I have been using it for the last week. I am planning to finally push the data over from XP tomorrow. After I do this I need an app that will run on the laptop and keep the data folders in synch (I have a local drive letter on the laptop mapped to a network share on the Linux machine. I think there was a thread on this a while back that mentioned some good apps but can't find it. Anyhoo, ideally I can schedule it, it will only do an incremental synch after the intial data copy and it has to run on Windows. Oh yeah, free is good too. The Windows briefcase isn't going to get this done for me.
    I use FileSync by Fileware.com. It's shareware. Pretty happy with it.

    Comment

    • LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • 4890
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

      #3
      I really don't know Windows well enough and right now have a bunch of stuff going on (working from a REALLY pos keyboard out of dad's crp, due to mom's wireless keyboard and mouse crping out and her asking me about computer problems)\

      \screwy keyboards

      rsync is a good Linux app

      http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

      Comment

      • crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • 10627
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

        #4
        The problem with doing it from the linux side is I would need to share a drive on XP and corporate won't let me do that. Security reasons. The way I have the Linux machine classified under security I get around that restriction.
        David

        The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

        Comment

        • LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • 4890
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

          #5
          The link above is Rsync for Windows, can't you use this from the Windows side?
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

          Comment

          • cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • 4503
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

            #6
            Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            The link above is Rsync for Windows, can't you use this from the Windows side?
            Google CWRsync. It is also a nice port. But all command-line (the way I like it )
            Last edited by cgallery; 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM.

            Comment

            • crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • 10627
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

              #7
              Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              The link above is Rsync for Windows, can't you use this from the Windows side?
              Yeah I just set it up. When I posted previously I didn't realize it was a wrapper for rsync. I will see if it works.
              David

              The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

              Comment

              • ntmatter
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2009
                • 9
                • Gig Harbor, WA
                • Craftsman 21289

                #8
                Do you need to actually sync? If you just want to store the files on the Linux box and access them easily in XP, how about redirecting your XP folder locations to the network locations? I keep all of my music on a server with redundant hard drives and external backup, and just redirect my "My Music" folder to "\\server\my_music". If you don't have permanent connectivity, configure your "My Music" folder to synchronize files for offline use, and you'll have a local folder that stays in sync with an external network location.

                Comment

                Working...