• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Are Kids Ever Not Sick?

My oldest had a cold last week that developed into bronchitis/viral induced asthma. The prescriptions and respirator took care of that and she is on the mend. Now my youngest is sick with the same cough and a higher than I like fever. This was after they'd gotten over the stomach bug a few weeks ago. If her fever isn't down tomorrow, I will call the doc for an appointment.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

No, my kids never weren't, uhhh, not....

Yeah, my kids were sick a lot, too! And so was their Dad!

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

Both my girls were born premature( six and eight weeks). The doctor usually asks us to set up appointments for physicals because she never sees them. They get the odd cold and stuff but they have never been ones to get really sick. I think the sickest my oldest daughter ever got was when she had " Elmo" in her ear( the nurses description when she had an ear infection at three yrs old).
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I just got done giving my 7 yo son a breathing treatment. He was supposed to grow out of this "seasonal" affliction by now...

My 2 yo daughter has a nasty cough now, just after getting over an ear infection.

I know by the timing of these things, 4 yo daughter will come down with a cough by tomorrow or Thursday...
        Joe

Comment

• MilDoc

Takes years, exposure to and catching, many various mainly viral illnesses for immunity to build up. Remember, there are about 400+ varieties of common cold viruses alone!

Hang in. It eventually dies down

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
            Takes years, exposure to and catching, many various mainly viral illnesses for immunity to build up. Remember, there are about 400+ varieties of common cold viruses alone!

I wonder.....? When my girls were younger, LOML and I would always be out walking. We would bundle them up and put them in the pram or the stroller. The weather had to be really bad or bitter cold for us to stay in the house. Could the fact that they were exposed to so much "fresh" air be a factor in their good health?
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

If you have kids, I think you can bank on having illnesses. After they've been around the block a few times, it gets better.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Yeah, my kid had his share of typical childhood illnesses. Now he's 35, and he pretty much just makes me sick...

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by MilDoc

I know this. I also know there are parents out there dealing with really sick kids who are in hospital. If my OP sounded bitter and self-serving I apologize. I've been waking up at least once a night for the last 8 days and I am mad at the stupid snow for closing the pediatrician's' office so now I get to worry for one more night. Plus now I am getting sick, probably from lack of sleep.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                    My oldest had a cold last week that developed into bronchitis/viral induced asthma. The prescriptions and respirator took care of that and she is on the mend.
                    Wait a minute -- my oldest just got over the same exact thing. They gave him that little bat mask thing, too. Are we sure they're not sneaking out at night to meet up?

We just got over about 3 months worth of colds. I've taken a lot more sick leave now that I have kids. I'm sure it doesn't help that they don't wash their hands very well, like to touch everything, stick their fingers in their mouths, and rub their eyes...
                    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                      Wait a minute -- my oldest just got over the same exact thing. They gave him that little bat mask thing, too. Are we sure they're not sneaking out at night to meet up?
                      If they are, I am blaming your son. My little angel would NEVER think of such a thing on her own.
                      David

Comment

• JSUPreston
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Montgomery, AL.
                        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

My boss describes it this way: "Children, they're all sticky...and infectious."
                        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Relax, guys. They grow out of this stage, somewhere in their late 20's or early 30's!
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• Tom Miller
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by Pappy
                            Relax, guys. They grow out of this stage
                            What I can't wait for them to grow out of is....my house. Ba-dum bum!

At 14, 11, and 8, they really are way less sick and contagious. And so am I. So, yes, it does get better.

Regards,
                            Tom

Comment

• Kristofor
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Twin Cities, MN
                              • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                              My boss describes it this way: "Children, they're all sticky...and infectious."
                              No doubt!

Add in teething drool, and willingness to let the dogs share food with him (both ways) and I'm sure Jr. (13mo.) is a walking (running, touching, poking, etc.) germ bioreactor.

Thankfully, he's been healthy this year, but he picked up RSV last year when he was ~2 months old and that was scary, he sounded an awful lot like Darth Vader!

Comment

Working...