• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Hockey Player Dies.

For anyone who thinks that fighting is an important part of playing hockey, then I guess dying must be part of the sport too.

Hockey Player Dies

The blame is being put on his helmet coming off but the question is why did it come off? If someone died as a result of a fight out side of a bar, there would be charges laid. Why should this be so different? I say that it's the league that's at fault. That and the fans who go to see fights and even the parents and coaches and teammates who encourage this type of reaction amongst the players. Now a young man has lost his future. If you want to fight, try boxing or UFC. When are we going to be accountable?

Ok, I'm done. Disgusted but done.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Sad but somehow predictable given the propensity for fights to break out during sports events these days. In my day if you were in a fight during any sports activity you were summarily ejected from the game. Twice and you were banned from the league. My reference is from Pony League Baseball where I was an umpire at age 18 for boys in the 12-16 year age group. We took no prisoners for folks who violated the rules. Sadly that day and age is long gone, what with parents fighting at their childrens sports events.

From the article that was linked:

"While he said Sanderson's death warrants discussion on how to prevent such tragic occurrences, the OHA has some of the strictest policies on fighting in the country.

Ladds added, "Hockey and sports in general develop in response to what happens."

Peter Ham, general manager for the Brantford Blast, echoed Ladds' comments, saying: "There's policies in place and we try to execute them as best we can."

From my point of view these are just words to CYA and not really what happens. If I or anyone else starts a fight in public, one or both of us get charged with assault. Should be the same in sports, schools and pros both. Stiff fines and jail time will bring this kind of tragedy to an end quicker than a new set of rules that no one will follow. Ban the high school (or college or pro) star hockey (substitute baseball, soccer, football, basketball, etc..) player from ever playing again and we will see them all sit up and take notice. Failing that, expect more tragedies. Rant Over!
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

My knowledge of the sport falls along the line "I was watching a fight last night and a hockey game broke out." (I still can't figure out what constitutes 'offside'.)

I'm not making light of the situation. I agree with you completely. The governing bodies of organized sports at all levels have the responsibility of making rules and insuring compliance to those rules by all participants.

American football is, by nature, a violent game. No matter how well the players are padded, 200 to 350+ pound bodies slamming into each other are going to cause injuries. New rules are implemented to attempt to make the game safer. Two examples would be outlawing the 'head slap' and the 'horse collar tackle'. Beyond the calls and penalties during the games, the NFL has levied large fines and suspensions on players for infractions of an overtly violent nature based on game film reviews, even if those actions were not penalized by the officials during the game.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
        If you want to fight, try boxing or UFC. When are we going to be accountable?
        Richard,

FYI - Many people have died from boxing. As far as I know, this is the first time it happened from a hockey fight.

Fights have been part of hockey since the start. 20 years ago stick swinging wasn't out of the question. You suit up to play hockey and there is a chance you could land up in a fight. That should not be a surprise for anyone who plays.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Redford MI.
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Pappy
          My knowledge of the sport falls along the line "I was watching a fight last night and a hockey game broke out." (I still can't figure out what constitutes 'offside'.)
          Offside is when a player of the team currently in possession of the puck crosses the opponents blue line ahead the player on his team who has the puck in his possession ie the puck carrier. But is considered offsides ONLY if the player who is not the puck carrier is in the opponents zone AND the puck carrier takes the puck INTO the opponents zone after his teammate crosses the line into the opponents zone. What it means in short is the puck carrier has to go into the opponents zone FIRST ahead of his teammates. If not then it is offsides.

More on subject. It is sad that someone has died as a result of a fight during a hockey game. I then ask you how many people have died during or immediately after an actual boxing match. Quite a few I'd bet. Yet we allow professional boxing to continue. Think about that for a bit. A hockey fight lasts in general less than a minute and most times less than 30 seconds yet a professional boxing match can last around an hour. I think the fight in hockey is an indispensable and highly exciting part of the game. It can relieve pent up tensions on the ice that could make even more violence occur (the team brawl). With that said... GO WINGS.
          Last edited by sparkeyjames; 01-02-2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Agree with those taht say that is part of that particular sport.. has been from day one and likely will continue to be. Hockey is a contact sport and not that long ago the player didn't wear helmets.. goalie's had a thin plaster paris mask and sit swinging was an everyday occurence.

Sympathy is extended but I have never heard of a death that resulted from a fight. More likely to be killed driving home from the game by a drunk driver. And the players are aware of it is a contact sport and you can get hurt. You rarely see a hockey player that doesn't have scars and teeth missing on the ice.

They know all that and they love to play anyway. So.. drop a puck at center ice for a face-off and they will come to play... always have and most likely always will.

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

In football, baseball and basketball, if you throw a punch you are kicked out of the game. In hockey they put you in time out in the naughty corner. If they are serious about stopping fighting, they will kick them out of the game, and fine and suspend them. It won't stop the fights comepletly, but it should slow them down, and they won't be able to come out of the penalty box to take another shot at someone.
              Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

I realise that people died as a result of boxing and what have you. But what do you expect when you step into a ring knowing hat you will be punched at. Why should every other sport have to incorperate this? We look around and see the violence right on our streets and he we are encouraging it in pro sports. Kind of a double standard. I guess when you are on the ice, it's ok to get PO'ed at your opponant and take matters into you own hands just because you didn't like what he/she did to you.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• pierhogunn
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

you want to stop fights in major league sports,

three words

Assault and battery

Start charging the players who commit these crimes, just like the rest of us, let them go to jail, and not be able to meet their contractual agreements...

no way to say that these are non-violent offenders... we got em on tape

problem solved, we have a rule of law in this country, and it really only works if it is equally applied to all... even the ones who make more money putting on their shoes than most of us will see collectively for any length of time

*must get some coffee*
                  Last edited by pierhogunn; 01-03-2009, 09:44 AM. Reason: misspelling three
                  It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

"I realise that people died as a result of boxing and what have you. But what do you expect when you step into a ring knowing hat you will be punched at".

As I stated.. every professional hockey player from the time they picked up a stick and played on a lake to the time they made the big show is aware that violent hits and fist fights are the way the game is played. If they chose to not take part due to safety concerns... they are free to get a job in an arena that doesn't allow it. These are not Roman Gladiators that were more of less forced into the profession. This was an isolated incident as many more people have recieved life-time spinal injuries in football where a player is thrown out for throwing a punch.

So.. maybe all contact sports should be legally condemned and terminated immediately with prison sentences for any that would fore-go the danger and play illegally as they could get hurt. But I think that if the players themselves were overly concerned they would unite.. step forward and voice their concern to the players union and I suspect rules would be changed.

On a serious note.. we condone the sale of cars.. we condone the sale of alcohol.. we have regulations about drinking and driving but there are those that will do it anyway. There are millions of cars on the road and their are millions of bottles of alcohol sold weekly. So.. perhaps anyone caught driving under the influence should serve a 20 year sentence in prison and anyone convicted of vehicular homicide should serve a life term or be executed in the states that still have execution laws.

Playing hockey is not as dangerous as driving to the grocery store with your family. There are millions daily that drive somewhere and are subjected to a drunk driver. Provide a solution for drunk drivers and then we can tackle how to stop an isolated death resulting from a fight in a hockey game.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2009, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

It IS part of the game. It always HAS been part of the game. Your example of violence on the streets vs hockey is pointless. You can argue the same point with the violence in boxing, martial arts, mma, etc. You can't do that on the streets either. Can't tackle someone either, so that makes football, rugby, etc illegal?

I think there are enough real issues to worry about rather then play big brother with sports.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • On the TARDIS
                        • BT 3100

Hey, I spent many years training in martial arts( Shukokai Karate). First, when you spar against an opponent, the last thing on your mind is to hurt ypur opponent. Second, any real student of martial arts would rather walk away from a situation than use his/her skill to fight outside of the Dojo. Martial arts teach respect above everything else. When a player get signed to a team because of his fighting skills instead of his hockey skills, then that's wrong. How many fights did Gretzky get into? It didn't seem to hurt his reputation.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• pierhogunn
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

My question is this, regarding fist-fights in non-martial sports, ie not karate, wrestling, boxing, etc, why is it permissible, even encouraged for athletes to engage in behavior that would be scandalous, or outright forbidden in other sports,

What is so mystical, so special about the real estate that these contact sports are played in where non-game related aggression, i.e. a right to the jaw, is considered permissible, and even part of the game, where the same activity is not permitted just on the other side of a painted line?

In marshal sports, with the exception of ultimate fighting, there are rules, and the fight itself is the sport. In contact sports permissible physical contact is regulated, and defined, and unless I am completely clueless ( which may be the case) I doubt that fisticuffs is defined as permissible in any rule book, of any of these sports.

Also, beating on your opponent in non-game-play related activity is simply not sportsman like, and makes those that activly participate in it nothing more than houligans and roughians.

I don't expect my athelets to be the brightest bulbs in the drawer, but I do expect them to behave within the published rules of the games that they are activly engaged in, and not to exceede those rules...

And the same goes for the fans

now can someone bring the extension ladder over, I need to get off my soap box, and fix my kids some lunch
                          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Hellrazor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Abyss, PA
                            • Ridgid R4512

I have a simple solution..

Don't watch hockey if you don't like it.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • On the TARDIS
                              • BT 3100

I used to watch hockey religiously when I was younger. I shied away from hockey at the pro level because the direction it was going. It wsn't about hockey anymore but more for the money and the status. It seemed it was no longer played for the love of the game. I still enjoy watching hockey at a lower level when the players play for ( what I think ) greater reasons. It's what these young players feel they have to aspire to if they want to be a great hockey player. Like I said before; look at Gretzky.

This has been a great discussion and I have thoroughly enjoyed what has been discussed so far. I know we are all firm in our thought's on this matter. I'm going back to wood working now and I don't plan on returning to this thread. Thanks guys.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

Working...