• Show
Clear All
  • kbkreisler
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2008
    • farmington mn
    • ryobi bt3100-1

Back to E-School

I have decided to persue a Bachelor of Science Degree and have enrolled in an engineering E-course at devry-University.
    I initiated the quest for an Electrical Engineering degree, But after a brief conversation the admissions advisor I spoke to informed me that since my interests lean more toward system controls/industrial automation It would be a better fit for me in the in the computer electronics Engineering course.
    The class schedule is nearly identical for either course so I do have a bit of time to take classes and kick the tires before making the ultimate decision of which degree to pursue.
    The best part is since it is a field related course so my employer will reimburse 100% of tuition + books as long as I pass .
    Now I just need to find the balance between a demanding job, wife and kids, and schoolwork. Classes start next week.
    there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that dont.
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I don't know about the program you're enrolling in but the EE courses I'm familiar with require a lot of math. Hard math. Still, there's no better time to upgrade your skills and make yourself more marketable than right now.

Good luck!

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Originally posted by kbkreisler
      Now I just need to find the balance between a demanding job, wife and kids, and schoolwork.
      So shop time is not affected?

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• kbkreisler
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2008
        • farmington mn
        • ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by Ed62
        So shop time is not affected?

Ed
        I assumed that would be the first fat to be trimmed.
        But the pain is temporary, and I am sure I will find some shoptime at the expense of sleep on rare occasions.
        there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that dont.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Not if you move the family tv into the shop

Good luck with the courses. Anytime an employer wants to pay for school is a good time to go for it!
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

But the pain is temporary, and I am sure I will find some shoptime at the expense of sleep on rare occasions.
            You're *exactly right* abput that! We (the family) made that decision when I was 29 years old and it was the best, hardest decision we ever made. Our lives have been immensely improved and I replace a back breaking job for a more technical one. You're doing the right thing but now your attention has to be determination to see it through the hard stuff - studying!
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

The best part is since it is a field related course so my employer will reimburse 100% of tuition + books as long as I pass .
              That's all I would need to dive right in. What a great deal! Best of luck to you -- I'm sure it will get very difficult to manage everything at once, but always look to the light at the end of the tunnel!
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

You may want to double check the accredidation before you start classes. Where I work, they will not recognize any college coursework taken at a school not accredided (sp?) by someone like SACS.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

Good for you! I know exactly what going back to school is like. I started back at the age of 40, and got my degree at the age of 46 going part time. It was tough-no it was painful. I received my BBA-Accounting and I have never regretted going back. The higher math classes were very rough for me. When I took college algebra the first time, the pocket calculator hadn't been invented yet. I still have my slide rule around here somewhere.

Congratulations and stick with it.

Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                    You may want to double check the accredidation before you start classes. Where I work, they will not recognize any college coursework taken at a school not accredided (sp?) by someone like SACS.

That is very true, and may be a consideration, especially if that offer holds for choices of other universities.

I did some work for a guy that has a bunch of framed certificates on the wall behind his desk. One of them is a law degree from La Salle Extension University. That's the one that advertised on matchbook covers. It sure didn't have the pizazz effect of Harvard.

Comment

• cwithboat
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                      • Craftsman Pro 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      That is very true, and may be a consideration, especially if that offer holds for choices of other universities.

I did some work for a guy that has a bunch of framed certificates on the wall behind his desk. One of them is a law degree from La Salle Extension University. That's the one that advertised on matchbook covers. It sure didn't have the pizazz effect of Harvard.
                      DeVry has been around for many years. I worked with several fellows who graduated from DeVry, they were excellent engineers and technicians.
                      regards,
                      Charlie
                      A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                      Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• kbkreisler
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2008
                        • farmington mn
                        • ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                        Great advice, I Did already check into it though as it is written in the employers policy about accredation sp? requirements

Comment

Working...