• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

HDMI port and cable question

Is an HDMI port on a laptop, an input as well as output port? If so, is there a different cable?
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I would say it could be either but not both. I am going to guess that it is an output for your video card so you can use a lager monitor or HD TV. HDMI is used to send a HD video signal to a TV or Monitor. on my Big screen HD DLP TV the are 3 HDMI input ports. I have my Blu-Ray player one port and next week when they install AT&T Uverse the Set Top Box will be using another one. HDMI supports both Audio and Video. The cables can be expensive especially at Best Buy up to $90 depending on the length. I bought 3, 6 foot cables for a lot less at www.monoprice.com. I am using one on my Blu-Ray player and is seem fine cost about $7 and I see no problems that would be caused by bad cable.

Tom

Comment

• Wood_workur
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Ohio
      • Ryobi bt3100-1

I have never seen a laptop where there was a video in port on it stock, but if it is it will use the same cable.
      Alex

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

I think you would have to look at the HDMI spec to see if that is possible.

HDMI was design to carry more data for high def video but the downside is
        that HDMI was also built to support DRM. (digital rights management).
        Lets put it this way. If an HDMI device is built to send high def data it
        cannot receive it. Conversely if an HDMI device is built to receive data it
        cannot send it. It's all about protecting Hollywood and their precious IP.
        Last edited by sparkeyjames; 12-14-2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• JeffG78
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
          • BT3100

Don't know the answer to the send/receive question, but for those in need of cables, let me suggest mycablemart.com. When I redid my living room, I hung a plasma TV over the fireplace and built a component cabinet that hangs from the joists in the basement. This setup works great for hiding everything out of view, but it required very long cables. I had to buy HDMI, 5 cable component video/audio, RCA for a sub, speaker wire, etc. I knew I couldn't afford Best Buy prices, but I priced them anyway just to see what they would cost. For everything I needed, it came to over $750. My total bill at mycablemart was exactly $100 shipped. The cables are all top quality and made in USA.

Comment

• iceman61
            • Oct 2007
            • West TN
            • Bosch 4100-09

That port would more than likely be a video out port coming straight off your video card for an external monitor like TB Roye stated. Most of the video cards are only one way. On the flip side of that, Some of the ATI All in Wonder cards used to have an input side if I remember correctly; but those are usually strickly add on cards.

Comment

Working...