• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Looks Like NYW is All Done

It looks like the new season is nothing but a "greatest hits" with new intros by his Nahmness:

I thought I had read he was looking to retire soon. He is not on TOH much--but that could be that he just doesn't like Kevin . Or he could just be spending too much time on those digital TV conversion commercials...

Those projects are certainly not my choice for a greatest hits, so maybe he'll stretch it out for a few years.
    Joe
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Originally posted by JoeyGee
    Those projects are certainly not my choice for a greatest hits, so maybe he'll stretch it out for a few years.
    I'm sure they'll milk it for all it's worth...

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Say it ain't so, Nahm!

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I don't want to see Norm leave, but I am looking forward to the "new"
        season. 90% of those projects were aired before I was serious about WWing
        and before I started recording them to DVD. So for the most part, it will be
        new to me.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Some of those projects don't appeal to me much, either, but then the same is true of any given NYW season. But a lot of them aired during the middle years when I wasn't watching the show ... I was a faithful viewer the first several seasons, fell out of the habit when the show was moved to a different time slot, resumed watching about five years ago.

It will be interesting to see the state of the NYW's tooling during that era. A lot of more recent viewers of the show don't realize that the place didn't always look like a Delta/Porter-Cable showroom. In the early days, things were actually pretty danged sparse (4" jointer, Vermont-American benchtop router table, and only a handful of pipe clamps on the wall with nary a K-Body in sight).

I see too that they have 26 shows on the schedule; IIRC, a typical all-new season is only about 18. Of course I don't expect to see more than about half of them, due to the stupid pledge drives.
          Larry

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by LarryG
            Of course I don't expect to see more than about half of them, due to the stupid pledge drives.
            "It's time for us to reach out to you for money. So we're going to suspend transmission of the program that brings you here week after week. We will temporarily broadcast inane programming consisting of Celtic singers, Doo-wop acts, or some clown who will lecture you for hours regarding mind power or how to manage your investments."

Whose idea was this and how did he get everyone in PBS to agree to it? I guess if they were marketing geniuses at PBS they'd have a job in industry.

JR
            JR

Comment

• pacwind3
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Vancouver, WA
              • Bosch 4100

I know what you mean, I get ticked off every time a pledge drive starts. Come **** or high water: Lawrence Welk still plays.

Comment

• mmcduffie
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Des Moines, Washington.
                • BT3000

I once sent an email to KBTC about a woodworking marathon. The response was "we'll keep that in mind".

I'm still waiting.

Michael

PS, I have some 8-10 year old VHS tapes of Norm's shows. I really liked the scale replica of his workshop. IIRC, he had a toy Jag in the garage.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's a monumental moment in the history of modern wwing. Understandable from Norm's view, wanting to move on to other things, but disappointing nonetheless....I really enjoyed his show.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...