• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

What recession?

I went out to the local shopping mall this morning. You really had to get lucky finding a parking place within reasonable walking distance. There was no sign of a recession there.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

That's because until they realize it has effected them, they will be in total denial of the situation. But by the time they realize it....it will be too late!
    I see the same thing at restaurants, fast food places, etc.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Salty
      That's because until they realize it has effected them, they will be in total denial of the situation. But by the time they realize it....it will be too late!
      I see the same thing at restaurants, fast food places, etc.
      Which begs the question... if you are at the fast food places to see this, aren't you in denial too?
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

For a really good understanding of what is happening check out this guy.
        The Crash Course; a condensed online version of Chris Martenson's "End of Money" seminar

Bill on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
          For a really good understanding of what is happening check out this guy.
          The Crash Course; a condensed online version of Chris Martenson's "End of Money" seminar

Bill on the Sunny Oregon Coast
          I've listened through chapter 13.

Pretty pessimistic guy.

But, he never once mentioned increases in productivity or advances in technology as contributing to our ability to service higher debt levels.

He also plays lots of sophomoric debate games with numbers. In one specific case, he is comparing historical debt to income levels with current ones. He starts with a historic level of approx. 75,000, and a current level of approx. 187,5000. Then he talks about the 187,500 level in terms of a family of four, now making it 750,000. This leaves the listener with the impression that they are to compare 750k with 75k.

I could go on and on, but he seems to have an agenda. I think he wants to scare people so that we all take the actions he has taken (basically becoming a survivalist), in order to validate his own decisions. Getting PayPal contributions isn't bad, either.

I'm not saying the path ahead is paved with roses. But I don't think it is entirely paved with dog crap, either.

Comment

• DaveS
            • May 2003
            • Minneapolis,MN

I was at two airports on Wednesday, traditionally one of the busiest travels days of the year... the places were empty.

There is most certainly a recession.

Maybe people are using their travel dollars to spend on crap?

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

There's a recession, no doubt. Not the first one, either. What's different is that the last economic slowdown was eight years ago and of course there was that awful period in the early 1980s when interest rates were close to 20%. Everyone seems to have forgotten about those.

On the one hand, my emotions are causing a lot of anxiety. On the other, my head tells me we're going to come out of this.

Unfortunately it's left to my stomach to mediate, which is giving me an ulcer.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

The local shopping mall has just reopened after remodeling. I could have used a bowling ball without causing any bodily harm in the new Nordstrom's on Monday eveneing. Parking was at-will, where normally I'd have to leave the parking lot and park in the neighborhood at this time of year.

JR
                JR

Comment

Working...