• Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Anybody want a Dog?

I need some help

My dog, baxter has become more territorial than my 3 yr old and my 1 yr old can handle

He nipped my 3 yr old on the arm last week, and has been at animal control since Friday for observation

I need to find him a new home or a foster home ASAP...

Can anyone help me?

Baxter is an 8 yr old standard, smooth coat mahogany colored male dachshund. he has been fixed, housebroken, and raised by cats for all 8 years he has been with us.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Baxter has until this Wednesday to find A home since the thanksgiving holiday has the county offices shut down until the day of the end of his quarantine, I either find him a new home, or the cabarrus county animal shelter will put him down

please help
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Put an ad on craigslist. There are also dog rescue services that may be able to help.

I sympathize, I had to give up my Border Collie some years ago but it was my fault, not his. A few months after I got him I started traveling a lot for my job and was not home enough to have a pet.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

GO TO ZOOTOO.COM

They are a 'clearing house' for no kill shelters, i'm sure they'll be able to help you.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Are there any no-kill shelters in the area? Is he a breed that would have a breed specific rescue? There are a ton of dog forums on the net, and posting to them might get you more help. I have seen greyhound people help find homes for other dogs a few times, so just get the word out there.

I really hope that you can find someone quickly.

Jim

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Have you done a search for dog training sites? Maybe you don't have that kind of time or patience (because of his aggressiveness toward the children). It seems to me that I've seen something in the past about retraining territorial dogs to live amicably. You might get some quick assistance on one of the breed-specific sites. I sure hope this works out to the good for all of you folks and Baxter)!
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by pierhogunn
            He has been fixed, housebroken, and raised by cats for all 8 years he has been with us.
            Heck, I'd be pissed off, too!

Comment

• pierhogunn
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Great news, I have convinced SWMBO that we can keep the dog by getting some training, in house.

So just pray that I can get to the shelter in time to prevent Baxters untimely end

Dan
              It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by pierhogunn
                Great news, I have convinced SWMBO that we can keep the dog by getting some training, in house.

Dan
                That is good news and I am disappointed somebody else thought of it first. We got some in-house training for our dogs a while ago and it helped a lot. Mostly the trainer was training us more than he was training the dogs.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

My dog (a black lab even--they're supposed to be very good with kids) was a little aggressive.

The best advice I received from a customer.

Stare the dog down. FORCE it to look away first. Lock eyes, and force it to look away. If it resists, say in your deepest voice, "ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME?"

I know it sounds crazy. But this is apparently the way dogs handle pecking orders in packs (but they don't say "are you looking at me"). A dog (or human) that looks away is the submissive one.

As soon as I started these exercises with him, he completely broke and became a wimp. Towards everyone in the family. He accepted that I was leader of the pack, and he was just another member of the pack.

It is worth a try.

Comment

• pierhogunn
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

That is exactly one of the pieces of instruction I got from the trainer last night.. The other one is to feed the dog at night right after dinner, after every one else has eaten... the lowest man on the totem pole eats last.

As soon as we decided to keep Baxter my day got brighter, and I stopped being so ****ed depressed. Yes this is going to cost at least $260 to get him out of the pound, vetted, and trained, but a small price to pay for a family member

And now grandma and the other dog-people in the family are speaking to me again (note: Grandma and I talked about every other day, and I was really missing her, I am really the only grand kid that calls on a regular basis, and I know that there will come a time where we don't get to talk any more, so I am making the most of it)

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Good luck with the training. I hope things work out well for you. Sometimes a hard choice has to be made, and it's often times a lose/lose situation. If for some reason it doesn't work out, and you have the time, put ads in the local veterinarian offices.

We had to let one of our dogs go because of fighting between them. She was around 9 years old, and a German Shepherd. It took quite a while for us to find someone who would take her, but she finally got a very good home.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• pierhogunn
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I got Baxter outa hoch yesterday, and as I was filling out the paper work, I plunked down my visa card, ready and willing to pay the $40 in boarding expenses that Baxter's little trip to "camp" was going to cost.

When the plastic hit the counter the man running the shelter just smiled at me and said put that away and consider this an early Christmas present. so thats great

I have Baxter at the house now, and we are doing as the trainer instructed us to do with Baxter to re-enforce the house pack order, and so far everything is working, including the ever shortening starring contests...

to top it off, I think the dog got a cold at the shelter... glad I'm taking him to the vet on Monday

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Sweet, I'm glad you got him back. Good luck training him, that breed is smart, but they can be really stubborn. I spent my first 16 years in this world with dachshund that made it to 17. That was really nice of the shelter though.

He probably got a case of Kennel cough, my old boy got a dose in a simalar situation last year. Two days before last thanksgiving my male bassett mix bit a child in my backyard. City code says he had to go in for rabies observation. Finding kennel space two days before thanksgiving isn't easy.

The kid's father was really pushing on having my dog destroyed. He even said he would do it himself. They did drop it when the little boy said the he punched my dog.
                          Erik

Comment

• cdub101
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2007

We got the dog father training DVD. It has a lot of good tips and insight into how to train a dog and understand the pack order.

We have a pretty well trained 2 year old Sheltie (little lassie). The tips in the DVD have helped with his off leash training for example he wont go out into the street without getting a command. Even if I wander out into the street he will stay at the curb until I call him. We can take him around other dogs and he will hold his sit command while being off his leash even with other dogs around him.

My wife did a lot of the initial training when she was home from work but the DVD has given us nice tips to get over some of the training humps.

I haven't found anything to teach him to grill or use power tools, but maybe one day.

http://dogfather.tv/

Comment

Working...