My dad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Greg in Maryland
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 250
    • Montgomery Village, Maryland
    • BT3100

    #1

    My dad

    This is my 79 year old dad, riding his unrestored 1948 Indian Chief motorcycle after 33 years sitting in the basement/garage

    Ain't life grand .....

    Greg

    Ps I am trying not to lecture him about safety, but it is hard.
    Attached Files
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • 5636
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

    #2
    Awesome pic!

    Originally posted by Greg in Maryland
    Ps I am trying not to lecture him about safety, but it is hard.
    I remember when my aged grandmother elected to stay in an apartment after Grampy died. She was functionally blind and had angina. I asked my mother why she didn't insist on assisted living. She said, "She's old enough to make up her own mind."

    This is now my entire philosophy on dealing with old people. They may get confused or make seemingly poor choices, but they've earned the right to do it their way.

    JR
    JR

    Comment

    • jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • 2638
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

      #3
      They may get confused or make seemingly poor choices, but they've earned the right to do it their way.
      Well...sorta. If they're competent enough that they don't pose an exceptional risk to others, then I agree they've earned the right to do as they please, including seemingly crazy things like riding a motorcycle or skydiving (the "bucket list"). If they're more likely to injure someone else, that's different.

      My FIL continued to drive after he was first diagnosed with Parkinson's, until we pointed out that they could lose their life savings if he caused an accident that hurt someone else. That finally got himto give up the car keys.

      I'm not looking forward to the day I can no longer fly my airplane or drive my car but at that point I have an obligation to avoid harming others.

      Comment

      • JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • 5636
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

        #4
        Originally posted by jackellis
        Well...sorta. If they're competent enough that they don't pose an exceptional risk to others,
        Point taken.

        I guess I was contrasting in my mind my philosopy with LOML's behavior with her mother. Her mother has been doing the same stuff that bugs LOML for years, but LOML just can't seem to let it go.

        JR
        JR

        Comment

        • JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 1509
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

          #5
          What a bunch of soft-hearted old sissies. Three replies and no comments on how cool that bike is?

          I'm nowhere close to being a motorcycle afficiando, and I think it's awesome.
          Joe

          Comment

          • kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 343
            • Brunswick, MD

            #6
            Way cool! I'll send the pic to my riding buddies!

            Comment

            • Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • 10490
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

              #7
              Originally posted by Greg in Maryland
              This is my 79 year old dad, riding his unrestored 1948 Indian Chief motorcycle after 33 years sitting in the basement/garage
              Him or the Indian?????

              Would he be interested in adopting another son? I want in the will...

              Don't worry about safety so much. Convince him to take it easy until he gets comfortable with riding again, buy him a GOOD helmet asa present, then let the man enjoy a beautiful machine.
              Don, aka Pappy,

              Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

              Comment

              • Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • 7091
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

                #8
                Your dad sat in a basement for 33 years?!??!?

                Comment

                • cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 15216
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

                  #9
                  That is a great bike and worth a small fortune. As for a 79 yr old biker...yeah!
                  .

                  Comment

                  • Greg in Maryland
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 250
                    • Montgomery Village, Maryland
                    • BT3100

                    #10
                    Ouch, you guys are tough tonight .....

                    The motorcycle was in the basement all that time, not him. However, according to my mom, he spent entirely too much time in the basement with his toys -- model airplanes, guns, Corvette, Indian, Chris-Craft, etc. The only thing he didn't do is woodworking.

                    Pappy, I will let him know about the offer of another son. It is completely fine by me -- I could use a woodworking relative. Having someone to borrow tools from would be great! However my brother-in-law, who has designs on the Indian might have an objection.

                    Here is a better picture of the cycle. I rode it once and I scared the **** out of me. It has a suicide clutch/shifter setup that is quite cantankerous.

                    Greg
                    Attached Files

                    Comment

                    • Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 6021
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

                      #11
                      Greg,

                      Congrats to your Dad. He's enjoying himself.

                      Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                      For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                      Comment

                      • jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 2638
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

                        #12
                        Greg, I'm happy your dad is still in good enough shape to ride a bike.

                        I guess I was contrasting in my mind my philosopy with LOML's behavior with her mother. Her mother has been doing the same stuff that bugs LOML for years, but LOML just can't seem to let it go.
                        Yeah, well that's another matter altogether and I know exactly what you're dealing with. Mothers and daughters carry around a lot of baggage. I'm there, doing that!

                        My wife still allows her mother to run her life in one or two respects, and my MIL can't refrain from saying things that bug my wife even after I've made it clear that I'm the only one allowed to comment.

                        Could be much worse.

                        Comment

                        • ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 2553
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                          #13
                          I was hoping that you were going to post a profile of the bike. It sure is in sweet condition. Your dad has guts and I respect that a lot.

                          As for making decisions on their own when memory begins to fade, that's what my wife and sis did when dad refused assisted care where they were living. His own negligence of his and self-management of his meds cost him his life. It all happened within 48 hours as far as we can put together. But, I still respected him for doing things **his*** way. As far as dying, he was ready and frustrated with where life had taken him and mom. God bless, Dad. Still love ya, buddy!

                          PS Instruct BIL that he can get in line with the other bidders for the bike when dad decides to sell - LOL!
                          Last edited by ironhat; 11-12-2008, 07:57 AM. Reason: Added PS
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

                          Comment

                          • herb fellows
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 1867
                            • New York City
                            • bt3100

                            #14
                            Mom's are great people, they just don't understand us!
                            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

                            Comment

                            • footprintsinconc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 1759
                              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                              • BT3100

                              #15
                              wow! the bike is sweet! it amazing to see him riding, good for him.
                              _________________________
                              omar

                              Comment

                              Working...