• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

November 11-Lest We Forget

Many years ago, dad joined the British army and fought for the allied nations in Europe. After WWII he was stationed in S.E. Asia as occupation troops. Every year dad would go to the Rememberance Day sevices and stand in remembrance of those who are no longer with us. Dad's been gone for a few years now so I go and stand for him. I try to instill this into my children.

One year someone posted a link to a video by Terry Kelly and I always try to repost it.

The story behind the song and video is this.

On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a drug store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the store’s PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the store’s leadership role in adopting the Legion’s “two minutes of silence” initiative. He felt that the store’s contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven o’clock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the “two minutes of silence” to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terry’s anger towards the father for trying to engage the store’s clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, “A Pittance of Time”. Terry later recorded “A Pittance of Time” and included it on his full-length music CD, “The Power of the Dream”.
    And the video
    A Pittance Of Time

So to dad, and to all of our peace keepers who given of themselves for us, I say thank you. We will remember them.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Bravo, Richard. Well said. And to all of our veterans a heartfelt thank-you for standing in the breech that we may know peace and live free.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Thanks for posting this! We should never forget and always be thankful and respectful for those who gave their life for our (and others) freedom!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

As a veteran, I've experienced both warm and genuine responses, and those of the hateful kind.
        It's experiences like this, that can mean so much, and require so little.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Richard, that was quite a tribute to your dad and the others. Thanks for posting it.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Very moving. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• GoFish104
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2003

Thank you for posting. Jack

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Beautiful, thanks for sharing that.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice. Thank you for posting it. And thank you for your father, too.
                  online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                  while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

Richard, I thank you for the post,

Cab, How come no one did that for us when we cane home, I remember one guy in uniform getting spit on in the airport, thinking about that and the you Tube makes me cry for vastly different reasons,

Thanks to all your guys/gals who made it back and those who didn't, you people rock my world.

Bruce
                    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

Thank you for the post Richard.

The video cabnetman posted looks like the Baltimore airport. It is a odd and eerie site to walk into the military terminal there and see so many troops waiting to "go to war", knowing that some in that room won't come home by walking off an airplane.

One thing that most don't realize is often the military doesn't travel in uniform. The Air Force usually doesn't as a policy, not wanting to draw attention from the wrong people.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• shoottx
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2008
                        • Plano, Texas
                        • BT3000

Richard

Thanks for posting that video. I lost one of those very special friends from Canada this year. An extremely decorated veteran and a true genius in his field. The video reminds us to take the time to remember and honor their service.

cabinetman As a veteran, I've experienced both warm and genuine responses, and those of the hateful kind.
                        It's experiences like this, that can mean so much, and require so little.
                        Bruce Cohen Richard, I thank you for the post,

Cab, How come no one did that for us when we cane home, I remember one guy in uniform getting spit on in the airport, thinking about that and the you Tube makes me cry for vastly different reasons,

Thanks to all your guys/gals who made it back and those who didn't, you people rock my world.

Bruce
                        While the ugliness of the past can not be undone. What I do want both of you, and any other veteran, is to understand there are a lot of people, me included that truly are grateful for your sacrifice and service.

We often don't know the best way to show that appreciation. So in my inarticulate and clumsy way, Thank You.
                        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Hoover
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • USA.

November 11th was originally called Armistice Day, in honor of the cessation of war on the 11th hour of the 11th day of November 1918. It was also called the war to end all wars.
                          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• scmhogg
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                            • BT3000

Cab, that video made me cry too. And, I was lucky. I got out a few months before my division went to Nam.

Being on the West Coast, I was a stopping point for my friends on their way there and on the way back. I made lots of trips to the airports to pick-up and deliver my friends.

If anyone would have spit on them, something really bad would have happened.

First Sgt P. K. Ross, I will never, ever forget you.

Stephen M. Hogg RA19711780, Sir.
                            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                              Bandsaw Box Momma
                              • Apr 2005
                              • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

This year like in the years past my older children will be in a Veterans Day parade with Girl/Boy Scouts. I will be helping with a coffee and snack table at the staging area of the parade. Then after the parade there is a BBQ for the veterans and families, we attend this with my father, who was in Vietnam and is now involved with the VFW post here in town. This is how our family will honor all the veterans past and present.

That commercial always makes me cry when I see it.
                              Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

Working...