Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

For Music Lovers

Just discovered
    www.lala.com

1) web storage of songs
    2) 6 million songs on their server you can play once for free
    3) you can buy a"web song" for ten cents - store it on their server - listen anywhere with an internet connection - but can't put "web songs" on other devices
    4) If you wish, they will scan your hard drive for songs and a) upload them to their server for your use only (not sharing) or b) "match" your song to one on their server for your use only - you can "use" up to 3 PCs for library usage
    5) you can buy MP3s for 89 cents similar to Itunes if preferred - DRM free

5) licensed by the big boys and some independent groups - there are some songs that I haven't been able to find elsewhere -("Story of Bo Diddly" - Animals)

matching is farly quick - uploading 1600 songs took @ 30 hours

I have 2963 songs there now - one upside seems to be that poor copies on my PC appear to be matched by good copies on their server

P.S. - after registration - you get 50 free "web songs" and 5 free ( up to 25) for each person you refer.

no credit card required to listen - just to purchase either "web songs" or MP3s

I've got 2 "invites" left - advantage for me, not you - if you want to donate 5 songs for me send me a PM - but all you need to do is go to the site

so far, i'm liking it - the streaming has not been interrupted yet (i'm on cable modem)

forgot to mention minimal social networking - you can see what songs "friends" - or strangers have listened to lately
    Last edited by KenBurris; 11-06-2008, 11:58 PM. Reason: left out social networking
    Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Interesting business model, if I'm getting it correctly.
    The only usage you would get from this is when you are sitting at a computer, is that right?
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• KenBurris
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Originally posted by herb fellows
      Interesting business model, if I'm getting it correctly.
      The only usage you would get from this is when you are sitting at a computer, is that right?

Yep - I was thinking about getting a secondary drive for my backup PC and connecting it to my receiver in my basement "almost media room", and using Lala negates the need for the extra drive

However, I assume that cell phones with unlimited data plans could use it as an Ipod where they get a good signal - I don't have a cell phone, so I'm guessing here.
      Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

I'm partial to http://www.pandora.com . More like having a dedicated radio station playing your types of music. You tell it something you like, it plays stuff like that.
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

hmmmm, actually any sound that comes out of your computer can be captured and saved. If you listen to it you can save it and put it on an ipod like device. One thing that bothers me is the scan you computer and supported by the big guys.... wonder if they are trolling for future defendants. I have digitized my entire record collection and can't but wonder what the big buys take on those songs would be.

bill, it's not that I like only old music, it's that I only have old music!

Comment

Working...