• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Voiding A Car Warranty

Both our vehicles are a year old, and the only service we've done to either of them is to get our oil changed. We don't take it to the dealer, but to one of those oil change places. My question is if there is need during the warranty period to need work done, do we have to prove we did what we were supposed to do as outlined in the service manuals?

I'm wondering... can they just plug their little code reader into our vehicles' computer and it will tell them what was done, and when?

So, basically, what can void a warranty?
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I have never had any issues with work getting done elsewhere, or not having the "scheduled" maintenance done. I always see those time tables as recommended rather than required, anyway. I always take care of my cars, but only based on when it is needed.

I've never had any issues doing the above when I have had warranty work done at the dealer.
    Joe

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

About 15 years ago I had a '91 Mitsubishi Mirage that dropped a valve and the dealer refused to honor the warranty because of lack of maintenance. The manual stated the valves had to be adjusted every 15,000 miles. I took a chance and decided to skip one. Didn't quite make it to 30,000 miles before it dropped. Had to have the head surfaced, valve replaced, etc.

If I recall correctly, the dealer would have taken an invoice from any repair service that stated the valves had been adjusted in order to serve as the basis for a warranty claim. Without that, the dealer would have had his claim voided and he would have been out the money.
      - Chris.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Keep your receipts and follow the owner's manual for maintenance (not your service dept.) and you are covered under warranty.

A new car won't need any routine maintenance until at least 30k miles, probably closer to 50k miles.

read up on the magnesson-moss act if you really want to know about warranty coverage and non-dealership work.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

Legally you cannot void a warranty from lack of unrelated service. Not changing the engine oil is extremely unlike to damage the transmission, for instance. If you do not get service work done, or cannot prove you did, and it is the cause of the damage to the vehicle, the dealer has no obligation to cover it under warranty. You do not have to have them do the work, you just have to do it or get it done. I put receipts in an envelope for each service in case I ever need them. In other words, I change my own oil and do other routine maintenance but I keep receipts for the parts to prove I did the work.

I've owned several new cars and have had to go to the dealer for warranty repairs and have never had an issue. None of my warranty work was something maintenance could have affected but if it had been, I think I would have been in good shape.

Jim

Comment

Working...