Anyone have to get a Smart Antenna for digital Converter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Anyone have to get a Smart Antenna for digital Converter?

Just wondering if anyone has had to get a different antenna after installing a digital converter.

I am trying to help my MIL get better reception after installation of the RCA digital converter box. At times, it works OK but other times, it loses the signal. Right now, she has a roof-top antenna and no one in the family has any idea as to the age of it. According to www.antennaweb.org, she is about 70 miles from the stations she watches the most, which are broadcast from San Antonio, TX.

I found one at Radio Shack for $100 but it is 13' long. Don't know how much it weighs but it might also require a new mast.

Any suggestions?

TIA
    Ken
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Before buying a new antenna, check the existing cable and connections. I'm assuming the antenna uses coax cable and not the old flat twin-lead wire, if not, replace the old wire with coax. Start at the antenna and make sure all the connections are tight and not corroded. Also make sure the antenna is oriented correctly — if it's not pointed towards the transmitter, you're not going to get a good signal.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• just started
      • Mar 2008
      • suburban Philly

You also might try adding another section of mast, depending on how high and well supported it is now, sometimes a few extra feet can make a big difference.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by BobSch
        ... if not, replace the old wire with coax.
        Isn't there an impedance matching problem to be solved when you do that?

JR
        JR

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

JR is correct.

They need a "splitter". The antenna is usually 300 ohm and needs to be converted to 75 ohms for the newer TVs.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

The good news is that they're not expensive.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• lago
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Lago Vista, TX.

The lead in was replaced with coax about 3 months ago. Based on time of day, such as early in the morning, signals from Austin(150 mi) can be pickedup. Mid-morning, they go away. Same with some channels out of San Antonio. They can be picked up during the day but disappear at night. Don't know if they quit broadcasting digital or what.

Ken

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

The old twin lead is 300 ohm and coax is 75. Most newer antennas ae set up for coax, if not a transformer is only a couple of bucks.
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I haven't been to the antenna website. Are there problems with going from the 300 ohm to the 75 ohm after the antenna itself? (wire is in a wall, that would be a pain to run new to the basement)
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                    • Ryobi BT3000

LinuxRandal, per your question;

A couple of years back, I left about 30 feet of 300 ohm ribbon from the antenna into the attic and it ended to a splitter, from there I ran 75 ohm cable down to the two TV sets and there didn't appear to be any signal loss. Had to put a transformer to match the impedence, which I think cost about 3 or 4 bucks. Hope this helps you on your quest.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Thank you!

Extra characters inserted.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...