• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Why do things look darker when wet?

...except paint, I guess, which gets darker as it dries, it seems like most things appear a little darker when they're wet -- like hair, wood, counter tops, etc.

My little boy asked this questions, and I couldn't come up with a good answer... Any ideas?
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Most materials absorb more light when wet, thus the darker appearance. Light colors are much a result of reflection in the visible spectrum.

Comment

• smorris
      • Apr 2003
      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Some of the light that hits the water will pass through. When it does, it will be refracted (bent), so that its path changes. When light from the object is emitted, some of it will again be refracted as it passes through the water again.
      Not all of the light that is emitted that would have reached our eye now does so, because some of it has changed direction.
      In other words, because there is less light coming from the wet area (some was refracted in a different direction), that area will look darker than the material around it.
      --
      Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

Working...