Advice for fathers of teenage daughters...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by leehljp
    I enjoyed physics in high school and college. Youngest daughter followed my interests and got a degree in Physics. She got to the point that she didn't like it before graduation but she persevered. (She really liked astrophysics but hated the chemistry side.)

After graduation, she found that with the major of "physics" - many doors were opened for job opportunities totally outside of that major, simply because of the physics degree. The "perception" that a "physics degree" had was strong among the interviewers and even after she accepted her first job.
    17-YO is digging in. She'll be fine. She is just PO'd that she had a work-free schedule for her final year because she has all the credits she needs to graduate. She didn't need to take physics.

Other daughter (12) is the one to watch when it comes to math. I knew she was good, but then a letter arrived from Northwestern saying they'd like us to bring her down (we're in Milwaukee) for evaluation due to "extremely high standardized test scores." She was getting perfect scores on all her tests, not a single incorrect answer.

I've told both daughters that they should get advanced physics degrees. They roll their eyes, but I'm still working on them.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cgallery
      I've told both daughters that they should get advanced physics degrees. They roll their eyes, but I'm still working on them.
      From one who has been there, theory is good but application is better. I'd tell them to get engineering degrees of some sort to go along with those physics degrees. As theorists they can work in research and/or academia. If they can apply what they know they can work in the corporate world - pay is much better there.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
        From one who has been there, theory is good but application is better. I'd tell them to get engineering degrees of some sort to go along with those physics degrees. As theorists they can work in research and/or academia. If they can apply what they know they can work in the corporate world - pay is much better there.
        Dude, I've been singing this song for six+ years, I can't change to a different number now!

By pushing physics I'm just pushing math/science. There are lots of physicists that work as engineers and chemists and what have you.

I assure you that if one of my daughters comes to me some day and says, "I really like [EE, chemistry, etc.]," I will feel "mission accomplished."

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Other daughter (12) is the one to watch when it comes to math. I knew she was good, but then a letter arrived from Northwestern saying they'd like us to bring her down (we're in Milwaukee) for evaluation due to "extremely high standardized test scores." She was getting perfect scores on all her tests, not a single incorrect answer.
          If you can arrange for the visit to Northwestern by all means do that. One of the problems with kids is they become bored if school isn't challenging enough. If the tests work out they may have a curriculum that will be a challenge. It may also get her on the fast track for great scholarships.
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

There are really two distinct kinds of "challenges". One is where you are under the gun to make a grade in a discipline that you don't understand and see no relevance. The other is where you are presented with something so captivating and intriguing that you are driven to learn everything you can about it. The first type is often counterproductive and even destructive. The second is loaded with opportunities and benefits. What is often the difference between whether education presents a positive or a negative challenge is the presentation and the environment. Parents and teachers cannot make children smarter. They can only hope to present the right opportunities and motivations for the kids to make it happen themselves.

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
              hehe remind me of this.

You at 17: Man she looks fine in that skimpy bikini!

You at 47: If he looks funny at my daughter in her bikini I'll beat him senseless.
              And your 47 year old recently divorced buddy gives her his number and say to call him on her 18th birthday.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Dude, I've been singing this song for six+ years, I can't change to a different number now!
                I'm not saying don't tell them to get a physics degree. I am saying start suggesting they also get another degree that applies what they learn. For instance, my best high school buddy has a BS in physics and has a civil engineering degree. His specialty is moving water - drainage, large scale plumbing etc. He gets paid quite well. He says the physics degree helped him become a better engineer but he gets paid to be an engineer.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Kristofor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Tell her with a Physics degree she never again needs to fear the uniform frictionless plane, massless inextensible strings, or frictionless inertia-free pulleys. Then when some joker starts talking about airplanes on stairmasters (jumpjets?) she'll have a strong background to participate in the discussion. Math and science all the way IMO. Those are needed skills for the lion's share of good paying, fast growing job fields.

I took two years of college physics, chemistry, and bio/chem (None of which play any role in my day-to-day work as a computer geek/manager, and none of which were specifically required to complete my degree). However, having a decent science background allows you to understand 90% of how the world works, and gives you the tools to be able to read/research and understand most of the rest.

Comment

Working...