• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Black Holes

This article talks about the possibility that the new super collider at CERN can create black holes:

http://www.livescience.com/environme...ack_holes.html

So I know that black holes have a gravitational pull so strong that nothing can escape. That being said, the article states that Stephen Hawking calculated that Black Holes should emit radiation. Granted, Mr. Hawking is much smarter than I am but aren't those statements contradictory?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

If you want to see a black hole created, go to a local BORG and ask for a comparison of wood types for a given application, Shazam a black hole. All light, energy and Knowledge will be sucked into oblivion.
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by crokett
      This article talks about the possibility that the new super collider at CERN can create black holes:

So I know that black holes have a gravitational pull so strong that nothing can escape. That being said, the article states that Stephen Hawking calculated that Black Holes should emit radiation. Granted, Mr. Hawking is much smarter than I am but aren't those statements contradictory?

To put it simply, imagine a reverse sun. How we have spotted black holes with Hubble and its instruments, is looking for circles of light, with nothing in the center. So this light or radiation, is just outside the gravity suction field of a black hole.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• docrowan
        • Mar 2007
        • New Albany, MS
        • BT3100

I read his "layman's" book once. Very, very deep stuff, but as I remember it, throughout space at all times everywhere, particles and anti-particles are being created in pairs and tracking together for a short time, then annihilating one another. On the very edge of a black hole, these particles are torn apart, one is sucked in while the other is left to run free, hence the radiation.

Note: I may have this totally screwed up, because it doesn't make sense to me, either. I'll have to remember to dig that book out again tonight.
        - Chris.

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

Just remember this, the one thing that can overcome the power of a black hole, is the power of that black hole. Objects outside can't resist, but the black hole can do anything it wants to with what it pulls in.

Also, think of it like a hurricane. All that power, but at the center there is calm. the radiation emitted form a black hole is believed to come directly out of the "eye". Maybe that's where the gravitational pull is truly weakest.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I think it would be arrogant for us to assume that we know about every type of radiation that exists in the universe. One must always allow for the yet unknown.

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Here's more info on black hole radiation.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• ssmith1627
                • Dec 2005
                • Corryton, TN, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

All we've learned is how little we know.

Comment

• dlminehart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • San Jose, CA, USA.

I heard a "thought experiment" about what would happen to your body as it approached a black hole feet first. Since gravity decreases with the square of the distance, it would be stronger on your feet than on your head. This is true on earth, too, but the center of gravity (center of the earth) is so far away that the relative difference between pull on feet and head is negligible. In the case of a black hole, the diameter of the source of gravitational attraction is very small. As you approach, the pull on feet would begin to noticeably exceed that on head, stretching the body. As you got closer, the difference in pull would exponentially increase, until the body was pulled apart. This would then happen over and over with each individual part. Astrophysicists refer to the process as "spaghettification"!
                  - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by dlminehart
                    As you got closer, the difference in pull would exponentially increase, until the body was pulled apart. This would then happen over and over with each individual part. Astrophysicists refer to the process as "spaghettification"!
                    I think I saw that once on an episode of Star Trek.

Comment

• Kristofor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2004
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

One piece of information (nothing can escape) is derived from general relativity and the other (blackbody radiation) is derived from quantum mechanics.

Those two aproaches conflict with eachother surrounding gravitation. Lots of far brighter minds than mine have spent careers trying to resolve those conflicts. Someday when someone finally comes up with the Grand Unified Theory, or something like it, we'll probably have an "easy" explaination of why there were inconsistencies, and they'll let us know how the universe really works (at least until something better comes along).

Kristofor.

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by ssmith1627
                        All we've learned is how little we know.
                        Behind every qnswer are two more questions.

I got into a discussion with a physicist once on a long plane ride. As we talked I saw him get more and more frustrated. He said a lot of advanced physics can't be talked about using words—only mathematics. And the deeper you get into the subject the hairier the math. Since my math skills are pretty much at the adding fractions and how-to-figure-out-if-a-piece-is-square level, I chickened out and switched subjects.
                        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• StickSeler
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

Anyone read "the Rising" if I remember right it was about smart zombies coming ater a super colider black hole was formed.

Glad I have a Plan
                          Of course Lumber is expensive,what do you think, it grows on trees

http://www.rjkniatt.com

Comment

• TheRic
                            • Jun 2004
                            • West Central Ohio
                            • bt3100

Remember theory and reality don't know each other exist.
                            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...