X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Found a great blade cleaner by accident

I needed to clean the blade on the tablesaw as part of the start of a new project, it had a lot of gunk on it. I couldn't find any cleaner and was poking around so I decided to use what I had handy. Sprayed the blade down with Scrubbing Bubbles and let it sit for a couple minutes. Took a toothbrush to it and in a couple minutes it was clean as new. Cheap, fast, good sometimes you really can have all 3.

Of course now I'll find out it makes the carbide come off or something.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

You may end up with swirls from those little critters.
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Oh OH!

Originally posted by smorris
      I needed to clean the blade on the tablesaw as part of the start of a new project, it had a lot of gunk on it. I couldn't find any cleaner and was poking around so I decided to use what I had handy. Sprayed the blade down with Scrubbing Bubbles and let it sit for a couple minutes. Took a toothbrush to it and in a couple minutes it was clean as new. Cheap, fast, good sometimes you really can have all 3.

Of course now I'll find out it makes the carbide come off or something.
      Actually, it eats away at the 5/8 arbor until it becomes 7/8....or larger.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• iceman61
        • Oct 2007
        • West TN
        • Bosch 4100-09

What about the labeling on the blade? Did it take that off as well or did it leave it intact? I have a 12" CMS blade that still has vinyl siding residue on it. Next time I think about it I will try it on that blade & report back.

Comment

• smorris
          • Apr 2003
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by iceman61
          What about the labeling on the blade? Did it take that off as well or did it leave it intact? I have a 12" CMS blade that still has vinyl siding residue on it. Next time I think about it I will try it on that blade & report back.
          It did not affect the labeling in any way.
          --
          Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I like CMT's blade cleaner. I just used some today. I need to put an old toothbrush in the shop, however, I use a paper towel and my thumbnail and I think it takes longer. I can wipe the sides off easily if I let it soak for 5 minutes or so but getting it off the top and front of each tooth takes me a little while.

Jim

Comment

Working...