Dreamweaver/HTML Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Dreamweaver/HTML Help

    So I am learning .CSS and Dreamweaver at the same time. I have the following in my .CSS file:

    Code:
    .link { 
      font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-size: 14px;
        color: #D70000;
        font-weight: bold;
        text-decoration: underline
        }
    And I have the following in a .HTML file:

    Code:
    <tr>
                      <td width="65" align="left" valign="top" </td>
                      <td width="363" align="left" valign="top" class="link">
                        <label>
                          
                        <div align="left"></div>
                      </label>                  <div align="center"> <a href="signup3.html" class="link" > [COLOR=DarkRed]Sign Up[/COLOR]</a></div>
                      <div align="center" class="link"></div></td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                      <td align="left" valign="top" </td>
                      <td align="left" valign="top"><div align="center"><a href="lifestyle.html" class="link" > [COLOR=DarkRed]Tell Us About Your Lifestyle[/COLOR]</a></div></td>
                 </tr>
    The stuff in red should be underlined, bold and red. It shows up in my web browser as not underlined and black but it is bold. I want to know why. It does this both in IE and FF.
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 343
    • Brunswick, MD

    #2
    Just the code you've got there works fine for me so there's something else going on... I just dumped the following into a html file to test it.
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    .link {
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 14px;
    color: #D70000;
    font-weight: bold;
    text-decoration: underline
    }
    </style>
    
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td width="65" align="left" valign="top" </td>
    <td width="363" align="left" valign="top" class="link">
    <label>
    <div align="left"></div>
    </label>                  
    <div align="center"> <a href="signup3.html" class="link" > Sign Up</a></div>
    <div align="center" class="link"></div></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="left" valign="top" </td>
    <td align="left" valign="top"><div align="center"><a href="lifestyle.html" class="link"> Tell Us About Your Lifestyle</a>
    </div></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

    Comment

    • Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • 4301
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

      #3
      Not sure if it matters much, but there should be no space between the link" > Sign up and the same in the next line as well.

      Actually I see several places where the spaces could be omitted after the ".

      Your are also missing a > in the next to the bottom line.
      Last edited by Stytooner; 08-19-2008, 07:07 AM.
      Lee

      Comment

      • crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • 10627
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

        #4
        I'll be darned if I can figure it out. I did some more playing.

        Here is the full page - just view the source.

        www.trainingresultsinc.com

        The two items I am interested in are the 'Sign Up' and 'Lifestyle' ones. Firefox leaves the text black but puts the underline in. IE leaves the text black and there is no underline. I did discover a typo in the .CSS file - I left the ; off the directive for underline. I corrected that but still can't change the color. I know the color code works, I was able to change the color on the main body text by changing that section of the .CSS file.
        David

        The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

        Comment

        • poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 3196
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

          #5
          David,

          Its really tough to tell with just what we can see. Having had some DW issues yesterday where some files on the server corrupted I would suggest the following.

          1st does the code do what you want when you do preview in DW? if yes you could have a server file corrupted.

          1. ensure you have everything saved.
          2. ftp to your hosted site and delete everything.
          3. download all files fresh
          Jon

          Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
          ________________________________

          We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

          Comment

          • crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • 10627
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

            #6
            I did some more playing. I root-caused the problem back to PIBKAC. One of the worst cases of it I've ever seen.

            These lines here are what is doing it in the css file. They say to take all the link anchors in the style known as 'content' and format them a specific way. In this case, black 14pt bold. Which is exactly what it was doing.

            Code:
            .content a {
              font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
              font-size: 14px;
              color:#000000
              font-weight: bold;
                }
            Last edited by crokett; 08-19-2008, 10:45 AM.
            David

            The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

            Comment

            • poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 3196
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

              #7
              Originally posted by crokett
              I did some more playing. I root-caused the problem back to PIBKAC. One of the worst cases of it I've ever seen.

              These lines here are what is doing it in the css file. They say to take all the link anchors in the style known as 'content' and format them a specific way. In this case, black 14pt bold. Which is exactly what it was doing.

              Code:
              .content a {
                font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
                font-size: 14px;
                color:#000000
                font-weight: bold;
                  }

              What happened to the underline?
              Jon

              Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
              ________________________________

              We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

              Comment

              • crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • 10627
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

                #8
                Jon,

                Originally posted by poolhound
                What happened to the underline?
                The formatting was being done with both style tags. I will play some more tonight but I think that is why IE and FF were displaying it differently - differences in the way they handle .CSS files. IE was overriding what I specified. Firefox was applying the one I specified with the underline but the color, size, etc was being overridden.

                Anyway, once I changed that content tag then stuff was formatted properly.

                This also (I think) explains a few other screwy things that were happening with Dreamweaver. I will do some more testing tonight.
                Last edited by crokett; 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM.
                David

                The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

                Comment

                • poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3196
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

                  #9
                  I would be really happy if I didnt ever have to do another website. Its not my mainstream business but I guess cash is cash!!

                  Here are 3 complementary sites that I now have 99% finished for a client. They aim is to increase his precense attract more patients and drive more traffic to his main site. He originally was looking for a simple "splash page" strategy but it wasnt too much more work to make them mini-sites. That way they are more functional and more likely to be picked up.

                  http://www.chiropracticscottsdale.com/

                  http://www.scottsdalesportschiropractic.com/

                  http://www.scottsdaleemergencychiropractic.com/
                  Jon

                  Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                  ________________________________

                  We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

                  Comment

                  • crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 10627
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

                    #10
                    That's nice. Layout looks good and it shows me why I need to rework my wife's site some. Did you do the image banner across the top? What software did you use to do that?
                    David

                    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

                    Comment

                    • poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 3196
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

                      #11
                      Originally posted by crokett
                      That's nice. Layout looks good and it shows me why I need to rework my wife's site some. Did you do the image banner across the top? What software did you use to do that?
                      Yes I did the image banners for all three and as you can see they are all variations on a similar theme. The software I used was photoshop. Depending on the task I would use PS, InDesign or Illustrator or often some combination.

                      The layout is intentionally kept quite simple. If the client were paying me more I can see places where I could add some fancier elements but IMHO simple is always good.

                      Using a clean banner with some "POP" is always a good idea. If you want some help feel free to email me and we can always chat on the phone if you like.

                      If the site needs banners and graphics and you would rather sub it out, I am open to that but some cash would need to be involved as that is part of my business and helps to pay for tools - oh yes and food and the mortgage
                      Jon

                      Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                      ________________________________

                      We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

                      Comment

                      Working...