This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Finally! 08-08-08 is HERE!

And I'll be glued to the TV, the computer monitor, and anything else I can find to watch the Summer Olympics!
  • pacwind3
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Vancouver, WA
    • Bosch 4100

aren't 8's supposed to be lucky or something?
    I know I've had a good day. It's friday, it's payday. I had pizza for lunch. We got our first pic of a good friends newborn. Yep, it's a good day!

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

we will be watching also, should be spectacular.

Oh yes and my wixey angle gauge arrived
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

Originally posted by pacwind3
        I know I've had a good day. It's friday, it's payday. I had pizza for lunch. We got our first pic of a good friends newborn. Yep, it's a good day!
        Nothing like a good day.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• MilDoc

So, what do y'all hate to miss?

I LOVE Gymnastics, Track & Field, Decathalon, Pentathalon, Fencing, Archery.

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by pacwind3
            The word for "eight" in Mandarin sounds similar to the word which means "prosper" or "wealth." In regional dialects the words for "eight" and "fortune" are also similar.

Kind of like "7" being considered lucky here.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Isn't it a shame we have to see a 12-hour tape delay, while the rest of the world gets to watch the opening ceremony in realtime?

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I am watching the opening ceremonies now. I am extremely impressed.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

While the "8" number has been considered a lucky number to them culturally, many Chinese have been concerned because of numerous unhappy events have been happening in the past couple of years associated with "8" numbers in one way or another.

I have a friend here from an area north of Beijing and he told me last month of these events and their association with "8" in time, month, day, week or related to the Chinese calendar. I was not aware of the "8" before he started telling me his concerns, but he did relate his family's and his wife's family concerns, and they are from two different regions.

Personally, I see that as "data that can be manipulated" to fit into a number. But the "grassroot" fear leading up to 08-08-08 has been along the lines of what was going to happen on 8-8-8.

As we see, nothing happened, but it sure looked possible. I don't know the news in the rest of the world, but the news was filled here with all the protests within the country by outsiders and insiders, the air pollution and general nervousness of Chinese officials.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 08-08-2008, 08:54 PM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• MilDoc

Gotta admit, after being an Olympics fan since the 60s, that the Opening ceremonies were some of the most fantastic I have seen so far. The precision of the drummers. the perfect circles later on, the "upside down" dancers on the globe --- WOW!

Can't wait for the rest!

Comment

• Kristofor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2004
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Not a huge summer Olympics fan. Some of the athlete's story-lines are enjoyable, but I've never been able to get into the nationalist buzz about sports (maybe growing up during the 80 & 84 politicized fiasco summer Olympics had something to do with it). And then of course there's the doping, the Olympics might be cleaner than some sports, but there are still lots of folks losing medals after they're tested (or lose court cases)...

Edit: But I know TONS of people who love the games, and more power to them, no disrespect intended.

I do enjoy the cross-country/show-jumping equestrian events. Not sure how much of those events are horse vs. rider though. I also like the high-density biking oval event where they're riding halfway on the wall. Both of those look like fun sort of like a pre-ESPN XGames event, and it's the only time you see them on TV.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

I'm keeping an eye out for all of the shooting events, wrestling, and cycling. Of course they don't get much air time.
                        I find that level of shooting almost bizarre. Their equipment is odd, they wear blinders, and shoot in almost the same spot every time!

The "high-density biking oval event where they're riding halfway on the wall" is velodrome and I also enjoy watching it.
                        This one is an hour from you http://www.nscsports.org/sports/cycling/index.htm
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Most of the gymnastics, kayaking, and some of the track and field. I'm also going to try to catch some of the karate.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by Kristofor

I do enjoy the cross-country/show-jumping equestrian events. Not sure how much of those events are horse vs. rider though. I also like the high-density biking oval event where they're riding halfway on the wall. Both of those look like fun sort of like a pre-ESPN XGames event, and it's the only time you see them on TV.
                            I used to ride show jumpers in my youth. It's more like horse and rider agree to ride the course. A 180 lb rider isn't going to convince an 1200 lb horse to do ANYTHING he doesn't want to. DAMHIKT.

Besides equestrian and cycling, I like the shooting sports, long-distance events, and just about all the stuff that gets 15 seconds of TV time.

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

opening ceremony just finished - WOW!

Should be an exciting few weeks.
                              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...