• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A New Career

This is one of those success stories. An IT guy (computer geek) got laid off, due to his company being downsized. He was out of work, and couldn't afford to stay where he lived and he moved his family to a place more affordable. He sold a lot of furniture to carry them through the move. Once they got settled, they bought a few pieces of furniture from one of the big box stores.

The furniture had to be assembled, and not having any experience with tools or furniture, signed up on a woodworking forum to ask a few questions. He PM'd me and we had a few discussions on what to do and how to do it.

Well, this morning I get an email from him telling me he thinks he found his niche. After putting together his furniture, he found it simple and easy, and thought there might be a market to offer his services as an "assembler" to help homeowners who don't know how, or don't want to get involved in RTA (ready to assemble) furniture.

So, he put a small ad in the local paper, and he said he got immediate responses, and has got a full schedule. He is overjoyed to have this fall into his lap. He said he needs no shop or elaborate tools, which is fine with him.

He said while he's in the home people ask him to do other odd jobs, so I'm expecting him to post some more questions. He said he has a real feeling of independence and could care less if he ever sees another cubicle (unless it's one he gets paid to assemble).
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Great story. I can see leaving the cube world for something like that.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

Hey that's great! Thanks for sharing. Now I know I have a backup to software engineering
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Thats really great, Having done it myself I love to hear of folks who have freed themselves from the MAN!!

Maybe he will move on to some semi custom work and join us here on this forum. Let him know we are here to help.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

That is a good story. If he has OD's, OM's, Staples, or other office stores in town, he might be able to hook up with them for referrals or subcon work...

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Approx where is he located? The town name isn't important but the estimated population would be interesting.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Haing started 4 small businesses I wish him well. It turns out the easiest part is starting and getting customers. Then you have to start dealing with all of the government agencies. Understanding the governmental requirements, compliance costs, and the time and effort necessary to deal with them often scares people away.

I do hope he does well
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
                Approx where is he located? The town name isn't important but the estimated population would be interesting.

I don't know the population of his area, it was Chambersburg, PA (South-central). Just kidding . I think he was in the NY-New Jersey area.

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

You had me for half a sentence and then I felt stupid. In other words, it worked! Good one, CM.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

When this game industry thing fails, I'm all over it! Actually it's a really good idea. Most of my friends call me up to help them assemble that stuff, as I'm the "furniture" guy. I don't think they realize that Ikea stuff is a form of insult to us "furniture" guys.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by drumpriest
                      When this game industry thing fails, I'm all over it! Actually it's a really good idea. Most of my friends call me up to help them assemble that stuff, as I'm the "furniture" guy. I don't think they realize that Ikea stuff is a form of insult to us "furniture" guys.
                      LOL! I have to share that comment with a friend who just discovered Ikea over here, and thinks it's the greatest thing since fresh sushi.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• docrowan
                        • Mar 2007
                        • New Albany, MS
                        • BT3100

Sounds like a good gig, but I wonder how he charges? By the hour or by the piece? More for a piece that has crummy instructions in Japanese? (Sorry, Hank).
                        - Chris.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

While I think it is great he has found something he is happy with, I also view it as dismal. Kids want everything handed to them on a plate (reading another forum about a 16 year old girl not happy with the Jeep her stepdad and mom are giving her), to people not able to do basic things around the house, or even assemble, simple, cheaply constructed RTA furniture.

I think we need more blue collar blood.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                            While I think it is great he has found something he is happy with, I also view it as dismal. Kids want everything handed to them on a plate (reading another forum about a 16 year old girl not happy with the Jeep her stepdad and mom are giving her), to people not able to do basic things around the house, or even assemble, simple, cheaply constructed RTA furniture.

I see where you are comming from but there are lots of folks out there who are truely challenged where even the simplest DIY jobs are concerned. The most complex tool they own is a screwdriver set and they cant even use that properly. I am sure they do have other talents though.

As a case in point I am one of 3 brothers. My father and grandfather were both very "handy." My home growing up was full of projects built by my father some of which I or my brothers helped with. So theoretically its in the gene pool. As would seem to be self evident I think I know one end of a screwdriver from the other (just about). My middle brother is completley useless. I dont mean just bad I mean extremely bad. One of the few attempts I recall where he tried that most complex of jobs - putting up a shelf - it didnt go well. There were extra holes where he had drilled in the wrong place. The holes he did drill were too big. he used the wrong screws and stripped most of them and needless to say the shelf was neither tight to the wall or level!

Some folks brains and hands just dont work that way. Thats OK as a world were everybody was the same would be very boring.
                            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                            techzibits.com

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal

How do you see it as dismal? Here's a guy without a job and is not standing in line at the unemployment office. Some people are not physically able to assemble furniture, or not mechanically inclined. I definitely see a market for his service.

Comment

Working...